Banned User
    +1

Arrow Is it possible to control the MFD display from the handlebar with external switches?

Do you think its possible to wire up external buttons to the MFD? I would love to be able to switch modes with a handlebar button like the MSX uses

+1
    I assume they are just dome switches? If you can pull the graphic overlay off you should be able to replace them pretty easy. I might even have some domes that will work depending on size.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Do you think its possible to wire up external buttons to the MFD? I would love to be able to switch modes with a handlebar button like the MSX uses
    Possible? Yes. The trick would be getting the wires run out the back without compromising the waterproof sealing.

The MFD case with 12-pin connector should have unused pin locations, so that would be one approach. There isn't much spare room on the back panel, from the inside. There is a pressure sensor for the speedo that takes up room, and of course the 8-pin connector.

The actual buttons use a flexible ribbon cable to connect to the circuit board, so it would be straightforward to connect (solder) the external switches in parallel on the back side of the circuit board.

Annoyingly the MFD buttons are sealed into the clear plastic front panel in a manner that makes them difficult to access, so the circuit board approach seems optimal. Figure out how to bring 4 wires out the back of the MFD and keep it sealed.

The rest is just physical wire routing and mounting the switches. I would think an OEM Trim (or PERC Reverse) switch could be repurposed do the job, if you can find a good place to mount it.

Banned User
    +1
    Sweet looking piece!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Possible? Yes. The trick would be getting the wires run out the back without compromising the waterproof sealing.

The MFD case with 12-pin connector should have unused pin locations, so that would be one approach. There isn't much spare room on the back panel, from the inside. There is a pressure sensor for the speedo that takes up room, and of course the 8-pin connector.

The actual buttons use a flexible ribbon cable to connect to the circuit board, so it would be straightforward to connect (solder) the external switches in parallel on the back side of the circuit board.

Annoyingly the MFD buttons are sealed into the clear plastic front panel in a manner that makes them difficult to access, so the circuit board approach seems optimal. Figure out how to bring 4 wires out the back of the MFD and keep it sealed.

The rest is just physical wire routing and mounting the switches. I would think an OEM Trim (or PERC Reverse) switch could be repurposed do the job, if you can find a good place to mount it.
    Update:

Each of the front panel buttons has one side grounded to Black. So only two wires need to be brought outside the case.

+1
    If you guys want any switches to try let me know... I have a few hundred sealed ones at my desk.

+1
    This would be a great option imo. (pretty sure i have some of them)

http://www.apem.com/files/apem/broch..._18-Series.pdf

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    If you guys want any switches to try let me know... I have a few hundred sealed ones at my desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    This would be a great option imo. (pretty sure i have some of them)

http://www.apem.com/files/apem/broch..._18-Series.pdf
    Switch options are good

The challenge is finding a suitable method for bringing two wires through the back of the MFD shell. Every pin is assigned on the 8-pin MFD, no unused pins. I don't know whether any existing pins can be multiplexed to do double duty.

The less common 12-pin MFD (Fast trim only?) has several unassigned pins so that might be straightforward to add pins to the rear connector and hook them up on the inside. I have never taken a 12-pin MFD apart so I don't know what the inside connectors look like.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447

I have never taken a 12-pin MFD apart so I don't know what the inside connectors look like.
    the insides of the 12 pin connector look the same as the 8 pin, the mfd construction is infact a bit different where the LCD screen is, instead of that plastic retainer its foam. im getting a 12 pin in soon to fix faded digits. I will take several pictures.

Thread Information