Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1

    Jet mate won't start?

    Well as everyone knows a jet mate is the farthest thing from performance but I have no where else to turn. Long story short in my 1992 jet mate I had put a rebuilt engine in. Brand new starter to. The day before I bypassed the starter and I have spark. Today went to try it again and heard a weird noise from the Ebox. Maybe it was the relay. Sounded kinda like a click but not really. Tried hitting it again and nothing. My point here is did I ruin the starter when I jumped it with wire. Or is it a bad relay. I have a circuit tester and the relay shows circuit. If anyone has any thoughts that would be great.


  2. #2
    CJ's gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    685
    +1
    34
    just a clicking from the relay sounds like it could be as simple as a dead battery. is the battery old? has it been sitting for a while? try charging it for a while and try again.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    just a clicking from the relay sounds like it could be as simple as a dead battery. is the battery old? has it been sitting for a while? try charging it for a while and try again.
    Battery is at 98% it only clicked once, now nothing happens

  4. #4
    CJ's gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    685
    +1
    34
    hmm well that was my guess. the jet mates not very popular around here but a ski engine is a ski engine so i'm sure someone else will chime in. give it sometime, maybe read through some old threads. i'm sure this has been touched upon before.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    hmm well that was my guess. the jet mates not very popular around here but a ski engine is a ski engine so i'm sure someone else will chime in. give it sometime, maybe read through some old threads. i'm sure this has been touched upon before.
    Thanks for the try. Everyone seems to be stumped. Thanks.

  6. #6
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,485
    +1
    320
    Take the main power leads off the starter relay and apply power to the activation circuit and check continuity. Pull the main relay for the ski and check that as well, my bet is you popped a fuse or something small like that when you jumped it. Please remind me what motor the jetmate came with?

    Sean

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Take the main power leads off the starter relay and apply power to the activation circuit and check continuity. Pull the main relay for the ski and check that as well, my bet is you popped a fuse or something small like that when you jumped it. Please remind me what motor the jetmate came with?

    Sean
    Sean, the jetmate comes with a 650sx. I'm a little confused on what you want me to do? (Sorry I'm a noob) I should pull the leads and how do I check?

  8. #8
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,485
    +1
    320
    Do you have an electric multimeter?

    What I want you to do is go through this list and check each thing. When you reply after checking them, quote my post and in the quote change the color of your text to red and reply directly under each item.

    Check the actual voltage of the battery with the key off

    Turn the key on and check the battery voltage again.

    Turn the key off and then remove the cover for the CDI box, turn the key on and listen for a relay clicking.

    With the cover of the CDI box removed and the key on check the 12v+ line in the box.

    Now, if you have voltage remove the large 12v+ wire from the starter solenoid and press the starter button. when the button is pressed set the multimeter to ohms and place one terminal to each side. With the starter button pressed the multimeter should read 0 or very close to it, if it reads 1 its not functioning.

    Take some pictures and post up while you do this.

    Sean

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Do you have an electric multimeter?

    What I want you to do is go through this list and check each thing. When you reply after checking them, quote my post and in the quote change the color of your text to red and reply directly under each item.

    Check the actual voltage of the battery with the key off

    Turn the key on and check the battery voltage again.

    Turn the key off and then remove the cover for the CDI box, turn the key on and listen for a relay clicking.

    With the cover of the CDI box removed and the key on check the 12v+ line in the box.

    Now, if you have voltage remove the large 12v+ wire from the starter solenoid and press the starter button. when the button is pressed set the multimeter to ohms and place one terminal to each side. With the starter button pressed the multimeter should read 0 or very close to it, if it reads 1 its not functioning.

    Take some pictures and post up while you do this.

    Sean
    Here is a picture of my multimeter. What do you want me to set it as for when I test, I have a few ohm settings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	318282  

  10. #10
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,929
    +1
    1,407
    Manual with electrical specs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jet mate starting with lanyard off
    By Vickin in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2016, 08:20 AM
  2. 1990 Jet Mate...Wont Start
    By leodzns in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 06:47 AM
  3. Jet ski sitting in garage for 2 years won't start
    By september in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
  4. 1992 Kawsaki 750 SS Jet ski won't start VIDEO INCLUDED need some help!!!
    By southernmaryland in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 07:00 AM
  5. Jet Ski won't start
    By Lenn1562 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •