+1

4Tec Naturally Aspirated Winterization Question - Antifreeze in Exhaust???

I have done some searching, but there is a wide variety of answers on this one and I can't seem to find a straight answer. I just moved to Virginia and have two 155hp naturally aspirated skis that are stored in an unheated storage unit. I looked at the maintenance manual and it really only talks about using antifreeze for the supercharged engines for obvious reasons (intercooler), but they do also mention the exhaust.

I know that the raw water inlet to the ski back drains out the flush port, so I am guessing that the only water would be in the water box and not the tubing that feeds the exhaust. I know that the exhaust jacket would drain into the water box as well. So would blowing out the water boxes be sufficient for freeze protection, or do I actually need to dump antifreeze in the water box?

+1
    Help! I'm absolutely jam packed on getting all these boxes unpacked. The garage is jam packed. Just not sure that I need to worry about them with a 26 F forecast tomorrow night.

+1
    Treat NA and SC the same. You need to mix antifreeze with ALL the raw water throughout the ski and lube the valves/cylinders. This video is very good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    Treat NA and SC the same. You need to mix antifreeze with ALL the raw water throughout the ski and lube the valves/cylinders. This video is very good.
    SC water routing is a lot different and the intercooler is in the engine or external. I do agree with fogging the motor and making sure the valves get coated. Also Stabil in the gas.

Wonder what that carbon ring will look like while he just lets it run and run with no cooling

+1
    Agreed. I think the only debate is does the exhaust manifold really drain or not. I think the air clear procedure is a logical procedure in my case where I don't have time right now to fog. I will get to it in the next couple weeks.

+1
    The ext is self draining. The only water should be in the water box which is fine.

If the water trapped in the waterbox freezes solid it's not a problem. The ice will expand ~15% and is free to slide around in the box.

+1
    That's why I decided tonight to leave it in bed at the storage facility. Not to mention that it was bounced across many states and different transports. I can't believe there is any water in any place but the water box. Again, I always appreciate the help here. It's helps to have someone to bounce ideas off when in a tight box like I am in.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you can't do much else, pull the injector rail and give each hole a solid shot of fogging oil. Same with the spark plugs. 30 minutes tops

+1
    I think I'm just gonna pay to have it done this year. Just too much going on to work on skis right now. That will be a first to pay for it.

Thread Information