1996 XP problem with VIDEO to explain....

Ok,

Months ago I tried explaining this issue but I never found out the problem. This is a 1996 XP (I just repainted everything). The video footage isn't the greatest as I wasn't focused on where I was pointing it. The SOUND is the key thing.

So almost once every outing I will be riding the machine and all of the sudden when I give it full throttle, the engine just sort of.... works real hard and sounds like its pumping hard, but doesn't really move. It may take 20 seconds up to 2 minutes of being stuck in this little bog, but then eventually, it goes back to normal and I give it full throttle and ZOOM.... it goes.

So I was taking my machine out for the year and I turned it on to dry run it and for the first time it did this little issue out of the water. I was revving it real hard as you can see in the video and it sounds like its working real hard. Eventually, you hear a POOF which I'm not sure if it had done it before and some exhaust fumes shoot out the gasket where the manifold connects to the head pipe (I will replace gasket and use high temp silicone to fix), but after that, the engine starts revving nicely again.

I CANNOT figure this problem out.

Please see the video. (and pictures of pistons)

This is the PTO piston
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04625.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	318381

This is the Mag piston
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04626.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	318382

+1
    I'm no two stroke expert but it sounds like the one cylinder was loading up on fuel and the puff was a little backfire which cleared out the cylinder then it runs normal.

When was the last time the carbs were rebuilt and the spark plugs replaced ?

Is that the same engine as my 97 XP 800? I think it is a plug or carb issue too. Replace plugs BR8ES or BR9ES (modded) and set to 24thousand. If you haven't cleaned your carbs in a few years I would be yanking them esp if the plug change has no effect which it probably won't.
    Make sure you clean them thoroughly...use new gaskets, pump gasket etc and replace gas filters. Also make sure you clean your large inline filter. By now you have already replaced all the gas lines on the craft since I think those used the tempo lines to that desintregrated inside.

The carbs are freshly rebuilt (properly) and spark plugs are fairly new iridium BR8EIX.... They are the right performance sparks.

+1
    Were the needle and seats replaced with the carb rebuild ? I would use the standard NGK plugs not iridiums.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Were the needle and seats replaced with the carb rebuild ? I would use the standard NGK plugs not iridiums.
    Yes they were. I did a full rebuild. I will switch sparks to normal BR8ES and see if the issue continues (in the spring of course so I'm months away)

have you trimmed the plug lead ends that go into the plug boots

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like its loading up due to a weak spark. I would double check your carbs; screens, n/s, diaphrams and pop off. then I would think about your plug wires. is the coil new or original? are your grounds like new? if that is all ok I would start to look for a buddy with the same gray box and swap it out to see if the problem goes away. if it does its your CDI and or your MPEM.

I don't know the electronics in your ski year but in my 97 I found out the hard way that B8ES/B9ES cannot but used in my ski. It sensed the non-resistor plugs and ran like crap and eventually shutdown. Same plugs worked fine in my 99 XPL however. I had pulled my carbs and rebuilt them on my 800 and found nothing wrong with them. Placed NGK BR8ES plugs back in and my engine running problems were gone. I won't use anything but NGK plugs and only the recommended ones. (BR9ES in mine due to level 1 kit). I would stick to the stock plugs and just change them twice a season - they are cheap.

Let us know what you find. I rebuild my 2 stroke carbs every 3 or 4 years and I don't put that much time on my skis anymore. Rebuild is pretty easy.

Thread Information