Kawasaki JS440 Starting/Starter Motor Issues

Hi guys,

I'm having some issues with my starter motor.

Originally the starter was completely dead, no sign of even trying to turn over.
    So naturally I took it out and disassembled it, which revealed a lot of rust and stuff in there, was basically all clogged up in there.
    After fully cleaning it up and rebuilding, I was happy to find that it worked great and then even happier when I started the jet ski a few times!

Some time passed and just recently I pulled the jetski out to start it up. But now, with a fully charged car battery it can barely turn the engine over with the spark plugs in.
    To add to that it would randomly stop turning over and just make a clicking sound as shown in the video below (Note: video is with spark plugs out).

I took the starter motor out again and by hooking it up to a battery on the bench it seems to spin very well, as you can see in the video below.

Now, the things I've tried to fix this include:
    - Cleaned up all ground/connections
    - Starter motor positive cable insulation was cut open and wires were rusty, so I re-made it with a new cable
    - Checked there is nothing seizing, eg. driveshaft, but all turns freely by hand
    - Dodgy positive battery terminal changed out with a proper new one
    - Electronic box ground cable was almost cut through, so I re-made it with a new cable

Could anyone please help me figure our why my starter motor wont turn engine over properly and why it randomly stops turning over?

Thanks,
    Damian

+1
    Maybe time for a new starter. They're like 50 bucks on ebay. Even if you get it to start again I wouldnt take the chance

+1
    Did you clean the copper bars on the commutator? Do the brushes move freely in their guides? Sounds like you may have a bad winding on the armature, or at least a dirty brush contact.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Did you clean the copper bars on the commutator? Do the brushes move freely in their guides? Sounds like you may have a bad winding on the armature, or at least a dirty brush contact.
    Thanks for your input Steve.
    Yes, I lightly sanded copper bars on commutator and the brushes did move freely in their guides when I checked.

Anyone else have any ideas before I go buy a new starter motor?
    Bit worried that it's not the starter motor, don't want to spend all that money to find that it's something else.

Thread Information