Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question 2014: FZR(S) vs. RXP

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I've read up a lot here and would like to say I really enjoy the forum. Great place for a noob like me to gather info on all things technical and Jetski.
    I'm new to the PWC world and have one simple (but maybe complex) question in regards to which ski to buy. I'm tossing up between purchasing the new RXP-X 260 and the FZS SVHO 2014. Few things to take into account before posting your much appreciated and valued opinion:
    * I'm from Brisbane, Australia, and while things are much more expensive here then elsewhere in the world I don't have a set budget in regards to buying and maintaining a new ski.
    * This will be my first ski and I know people will advise to buy second hand first to gather experience and so forth, but to be honest I'm not interested in purchasing anything that's not top of the range.
    * I've only ever ridden a stock 2012 RXP 260 for 5 hours or so in a river, I flogged it till the cows came home and absolutely loved it. However, having done some recent watercraft homework I'm fairly certain I'm leaning towards the Yamaha FZS. Test drive(s) and advice pending.
    * After purchasing and enjoying some hours on my soon to be ski, I more then likely will consider modding to some extent. My understanding is that people tend to lean towards Yamaha when planning to mod.
    * I plan on using it in both fresh and salt water, with the ratio being roughly 50/50.
    * I hope to tow maybe 40% of the time, after having done 30+ hours.
    * I've thought about a 2 seater and weighed up some of its pro's and con's, and would like to ask people how they see the differences between the FZR and FZS. The longer seating on the FZS is the only difference correct? Regardless I've rung around and it seems as though the FZR will NOT be available in Australia, only the FZS.
    * My top 5 most enjoyed features and/or aspects of a ski would be;
    5. Aesthetics.
    4. Comfort.
    3. Top speed.
    2. Handling.
    1. Acceleration.

I hope all this helps on giving me your opinion. If I need to mention anything else just let me know. Thanks everyone in advance.

+1
    I would go with the new FZS, and it would be an easy decision. We have almost 500 combined hours on our FZ's without a single repair, you can read about that here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189782

Nothing against the Sea-Doo, it does have some positive points including the closed loop cooling to keep saltwater out of the engine. But in my experience the BRP products do not come close to Yamaha for durability, and the 2014 edition is going to take these massive 1812cc engines to a whole new level.

3. +1 by:

+1
    FZS SVHO 2014........ go for it

+1
    Yep. The 2014 SVHO is like 4 in the stink; a show-stopper. I say go for it.Of course, since you posted on the Yamaha board, the answers will be biased.

6. +1 by:

+1
    If I was gonna tow 40% of the time- then I would want a boarding step on my ski.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Since nobody mentioned it, closed loop on the Sea Doo is a definite plus for the salt portion of your riding.

May I ask if you loved the RXPX why you're so inclined to go with the FZ that you haven't ridden?

Also, you mention not looking at a 2 seater - the RXPX is a 2 seater . Depending on how regulations are down there, you may need a 3 seater, since here you need a 3 person ski to tow (driver, spotter, person being towed).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    Since nobody mentioned it, closed loop on the Sea Doo is a definite plus for the salt portion of your riding.
    Actually, I mentioned that in post no 2.

+1
    Thanks for the tips so far.
    @ carguy89, I'm leaning towards the FZ as my main eventual turn off on the RXP was the 100 hour rebuild, combined with what seems to be the fact that Yamaha are more well placed when deciding to mod, along with not needing the bells and whistles of the RXP, along with the 3/4 thousand extra price tag down here on the RXP. These are the major reasons anyway.
    If the Seadoo RXP is in line with comparing to the FZR, is the RXT in line to compare to the FZS?
    @ Vman thanks for the boarding step comment, I'll have to give that some thought.

I probably should have posted this in the Seadoo section but oh well.
    If anyone thinks of anything else please post. Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by propac View Post
    Thanks for the tips so far.
    @ carguy89, I'm leaning towards the FZ as my main eventual turn off on the RXP was the 100 hour rebuild, combined with what seems to be the fact that Yamaha are more well placed when deciding to mod, along with not needing the bells and whistles of the RXP, along with the 3/4 thousand extra price tag down here on the RXP. These are the major reasons anyway.
    I would also look carefully at the extended warranty offered by both companies; not sure about Australia, but here in Florida you can get a full 5 years warranty on the Yamaha, vs. Sea-Doo which will only give 4 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by propac View Post
    If the Seadoo RXP is in line with comparing to the FZR, is the RXT in line to compare to the FZS?
    The FZR and FZS are essentially the same machine. I guess the larger RXT would be better compared to the FX SHO since they both have a deeper V hull.

Banned User
    +1
    If the Sea Doo is 3-4 thousand more I would do the Yamaha. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information