97 GP1200 - Arrestors or leave stock air intake ??

I have a 97 GP1200 that has been running great for years but had to change an exciter coil last year. At the same time I resealed the cases well with new gaskets since I found that I had a small air/oil seal leak once I opened it up to replace the coil. The coil was covered in some oil. Leak repaired. Pistons and cylinders are fine still and no other problems. Had heads modified years ago by GroupK I think (too long to remember) and it needs premium gas. Changed intake grate, ride plate, prop etc all years ago and the ski hits around 62 tops with rpms probably slightly over 6900.
    Ski has never been swamped but came really close once when a water link inside broke and started filling up quickly. I had the Rule pump and it was the only thing that allowed me to get to shore just in time.

I rebuilt the carbs again when I had it apart. Then I decided to order a large flame arrestor for it (single unit) along with the recommended jets for all the carbs and T adjusters, etc. Have very detailed instructions for all the changes from a professional and I am sure I can rebuild the carbs with the required mod.

What bothers me is if I should be doing this on this ski. I have done it on my Seadoo 97 XP and 99 951 XPL with no issues but the Yamaha??
    I do get some water in the hull from wave jumping (added 800 automatic Rule just in case) but not much to worry about. I'm wondering if it is going to make much of a difference versus taking changes of screwing up the old reliable engine. (Stock oil pump - ski has 180 hours I think).

+1
    Flame arrestors are a great mod. Sounds like you have done your homework, have all the parts and the carb setup recipe ready to go. I'd say, go for it. It will make some difference in performance.

+1
    I would also add that it would be a great idea to check with Harry and Gerhardt at Group K to confirm your new jetting. Of all people, they would know if it is compatable with their mods. The last thing you would want is to run lean after so many years of love from that ski.

When you get new jetting specs with new flame arrestors, the assumption from the vendor normally is that the craft is stock.... and yours is not.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    I would also add that it would be a great idea to check with Harry and Gerhardt at Group K to confirm your new jetting. Of all people, they would know if it is compatable with their mods. The last thing you would want is to run lean after so many years of love from that ski.

When you get new jetting specs with new flame arrestors, the assumption from the vendor normally is that the craft is stock.... and yours is not.
    Thanks, I did send them an email asking if the stock mains were fine or should be changed. I know that when they mill the head they do perform some other mods to the head just like PPG does when they modify the Seadoo heads for high octane.

Since it's winter now I have plenty of time to redo them again.

Thread Information