96 STS Starter issue

I have recently put the engine back into my ski after a rebuild. I now find that the starter relay clicks and puts out 12V to the leads that run to the starter however no starter activity. The starter worked find prior to rebuild, is not the stock one (I don't know how old it is but its not 17 years old). Is there any other things that could be affecting this? The battery has been charged, I'm not 100% sure of its actual health but if 12V is being sent to the starter I would guess that its ok.

So does anyone have any ideas of how to test/eliminate other things as the issue before I pull the entire motor out again and spend $100 on a new starter motor? Thanks.

+1
    Did you hook the ground cable back up to the block? Have you jumped directly from the battery to the + post on the starter?

Does the engine turn over by hand? The jet pump may be frozen.

You do not have to remove the engine to change the starter motor.

You can get starter rebuild kits on Ebay for about $35. I've done several and the drive-end bearings that are supplied in the kit are the wrong size, but at least you can put new brushes in.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the resistance between the starter cable side and ground. often I've found in cases like this that the cable attachment to the starter has been twisted and the internal connection broken. an infinite resistance on the line going to the starter and ground is a clear indicator of this.

This is a huge problem on the bargain starters, if you don't use two wrench's ( one to hold the bottom nut) it's a goner.

the starter is a bit tricky to get out when the motor is in, but with some patience you can slide it out.

+1
    I find it easier to stand on the right side of the 'Ski and slide my left arm in from the driveshaft coupling area. A 10 mm socket and ratchet should get the bolts out. You may have to stick a short screwdriver between the front end of the starter and stator housing and pry it backwards because the O-ring holds it in place.

Awesome thanks I'll check the resistance, then see if I can manually turn the engine without the plugs in. I tried with the plugs in but all that sweet compression made it a little difficult.

Thread Information