Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Gulf Island National Seashore(pandlehandle) pwc ban?

http://www.proridermag.com/florida-riders-speak-now/

there's a link to leave a comment.....takes 2 minutes.

+1
    Where they are talking about banning PWC riding is a shipping channel... i rode there over labor day and we passed a barge... it would take hundreds of PWCs to create the environmental impact of one of those things... WTF? This doesn't even mention the cabin cruisers and livaboards that we passed that were no doubt not using sewage holding tanks... What exactly do they think we are hurting?

+1
    Copy of what I replied.

Even thought my wife and I live 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico in Texas, Over the last 18 years we have traveled east to visit many of the vacations areas along the Gulf Islands National seashore. The main reason we go to these places is to ride our PWC’s. If this law was to go into effect, we would have no reason to go to any of those places and spend money there anymore. I will tell a little story. We have been to Panama City Beach many times. For years we have rode our PWC’s in the bay area behind Shell Island. I would see in the shallow areas what looked like lines drawn in the vegetation. After about 10 years I finally figured it out. The “lines” were from people with outboard motors dragging the bottom. PWC do not do that. We do not have an exposed prop. If you ask me you guys are barking up the wrong tree as far as environmental impact goes.

Troy Hebert
    possibly a former contributor to the economy of the Gulf Island National seashore

+1
    I put my 2 cents in. Basically said what impact are PWC's putting on the seashore that the barges, powerboats, and yachts not putting on the seashore?

+1
    See this post: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...90#post2293990

There's a link to the NPS page on this and you can put comments there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post

LOL, you guys are funny! But thanks for the support. After the info Wade sent me, I've concluded this to be more of an informal hearing and not that of true public comment. But we'll see what happens. I think we'll be extremely fortunate if the NPS keeps the rules as they are today, but we really won't know more until this coming Spring.
    That was just what was on Pro Rider Magazine's page...I'm guessing the best description would be on the National Park Service page:

Please join park staff and planners to learn about the personal watercraft use project. The meetings will be in an informal "open house" format to discuss ideas and issues regarding PWC management at Gulf Islands. You are welcome to attend anytime between 3:30 and 7:30 PM.

Description:
    Although the public scoping period began in February 2013 with the release of a Notice of Intent to prepare an EIS, these are the first public meetings to be held for this project. The NPS uses your comments and ideas to identify all relevant issues and concerns that could be associated with the project and to ensure that we consider all of the possible alternatives for PWC use at Gulf Islands.

The meeting at Gulf Breeze, FL was yesterday...anyone heard anything about how it went?

Maybe we should send a Christmas gift basket to Mr. Dan:

Gulf Islands National Seashore Superindedent Dan Brown
    Attachment 318751
    G

+1
    I moved this info from the LA connection thread since it really doesn't affect Louisiana and so we can find this stuff better in the future.

I put together a graphical summary of the current law on PWC in the Gulf Islands National Seashore area, which consists of the MS barrier islands and several areas around Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach, FL.

Current rules in writing here: http://www.nps.gov/guis/parkmgmt/per...watercraft.htm

Map of the areas included here: http://www.nps.gov/common/commonspot...Gulf%20Islands

Or if that doesn't open, go here and click "view park map" : http://www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/index.htm

Currently, the amount of “flat wake” around the islands and the fact that you can’t go into a lagoon or inlet has the environmental impact that a PWC can cause near zero. If anything, the current rules are too strict.

Here are the maps I created of Ship Island, which is one with a 300 yard "flat wake" restriction. The orange line is very close to actual scale of what 300 yards (.17 mile) would look like plus the ˝ mile on all directions of the pier.

Note several of the other islands are ˝ mile of flat wake all the way around! 3 times further out would be the orange line for them.

The 2nd map has the park boundary in red, which just states 1 mile north and south of the shores…which would be the area PWC’s couldn’t enter at all if this BS went thru.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship rules2.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	318764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship rules1.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	318765

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Here we go again !!
    We went thru all this debate years ago and it is back to haunt us.
    I spent a lot of time trying to encourage local PWC riders (in Louisiana) to respect other people on the water as well as on land. That is, fisherman, pleasure boaters, land owners etc.
    FYI, I was the southeastern safety instructor for PWC for the Coast Guard Auxillary back in the 90's.
    Mostly I encountered "newbies" that wanted to spin doughnuts to throw their friends off the back, and almost always close to shore where their buddies could see them. Jumping boat wakes, and for the most part, acting like idiots and giving PWC a bad name.
    WELL,,,,the bad name STUCK.
    PWC owners overall paid the price with tons of new regulations and restrictions.
    Now, these regulations are coming to age again so here we go AGAIN.
    Hopefully we can pull together and have our voice heard once more.
    The IJSBA and PWCIC helped fund most of the legal debates. I hope we can pull it off again.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post
    Mostly I encountered "newbies" that wanted to spin doughnuts to throw their friends off the back, and almost always close to shore where their buddies could see them. Jumping boat wakes, and for the most part, acting like idiots and giving PWC a bad name.
    WELL,,,,the bad name STUCK.
    PWC owners overall paid the price with tons of new regulations and restrictions.
    Exactly...something Billy and I just talked about on the phone. He went and is gonna give an update on the open forum later... doesn't sound like doom and gloom yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information