1997 gp 1200 exit nozzel

I am in the process of changing my 0 degree nozzle to a 1998-99 gp 5 degree nozzle. I have taken out the four long bolts and the two bolts that go up in to the fiberglass body and the two hoses. still very tight. should I whack it with a rubber hammer? also my stock 97 gp 1200 goes 57.8 miles an hour on gps. what speed increase should I see? thanks.

I changed mine years ago along with the prop, ride plate and intake. Also increased head compression. If you can control the porpoising you might be able to get another mile or 1.5. Don't expect to see a dramatic increase. The main problem with the craft is trying to keep it smooth in a light chop. It wants to porpoise the more you try to lift that front end out of the water and you need to adjust your body position to compensate. My Seadoo XP 951 with a level 1 kit is very close to my GP1200 , both slightly modded, but the XP usually gains a mile or two and slowly walks away. In a slight chop the XP walks away even faster and it hits about 63-64 so my GP is only hitting around 62 max probably. I doubt I can get it any faster without major $$$.

thanks gp1200x. im ready to see what increase I will have. I still need to change out my nozzle. it looks like there is a couple of pry spots for a screw driver, I don't want to hurt anything. should I hit it with a rubber hammer to get it loose?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997gper View Post
    I am in the process of changing my 0 degree nozzle to a 1998-99 gp 5 degree nozzle. I have taken out the four long bolts and the two bolts that go up in to the fiberglass body and the two hoses. still very tight. should I whack it with a rubber hammer? also my stock 97 gp 1200 goes 57.8 miles an hour on gps. what speed increase should I see? thanks.
    Yep, whack it with a hammer. There's probably a little sealer and/or corrosion holding it together.
    I personally went 2 mph faster when I went from a Zero deg nozzle(Sponsons down) to 5 deg nozzle (Sponsons up). So I changed 2 things on my GPS speed tests. I'm with gp1200x, you should see 1 to 1.5 mph top speed gain.
    But you also gain a ton more playfulness out of the ski. You'll notice it just LEAPS up out of the water with 5 degree nozzle, which is fun when you wanna jump some waves and play around. On a hole shot or a race, you'll wanna lean forward hard on the handle bars to keep the ski from jumping up out of the water and unhooking the prop. Once you're up and going then you can settle back to normal speed position.

+1
    You can also pry at those pry spots

thanks cutlass. were should I set my trim for maximum speed? I tried adjusting my sponsons last year. could not get them to move. not sure if they are up or down. any tricks to get them to move?

also should I put sealer on? or just put it on ? thanks.

+1
    Max speed should be at neutral trim. Any other trim position redirects the jet and scrubs some of it water pressure/speed away. And BTW, you'll need to readjust your trim cables after installing the 5 deg nozzle. they'll be out of wack with that nozzle.
    If the sponsons are seized up, you may want to remove them so you can try to free up the adjuster mechanism. or buy some aftermarket sponsons. I love my Riva sponsons!!
    I smear a tiny bit of sealer. Some products are better then others for this but just use whatever you can find.

thanks a lot cutlass. I appreciate the info.

Thread Information