Question Carb dripping fuel in 1993 Polaris SL 650

Hey guys,

So I have working on my used SL 650 lately, and just finished diagnosing a water leak problem I had where water coolant was leaking into the front cylinder (and a little water into the other 2 cylinders). Apparently, it was a rotted-out head gasket. So, that got fixed.

If you are interested on the whole back-story, my original thread is here, entited "Erratic Bogging"> http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...hlight=erratic

After that issue was fixed, I noticed a new problem. I did a one-cylinder-at-a-time test, and found that the engine will not run on the front cylinder. I am wondering if the water in the cylinder could have caused this.

So, after investigating the front cylinder, I found that fuel was dripping from this outlet inside the front cylinder carburetor.

Heres a photo showing where the carb is dripping fuel. The location is circled in red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Cylinder - Down the Carb.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	318610

On the other cylinders, there was no dripping. Actually, I couldn't see any fuel coming out. Im guessing its being vaporized so it can be used inside the cylinder for combustion?

From this dripping, I figured that the carb on the front needs to be rebuilt, so I ordered a Mikuni carb rebuild kit. I am not sure this will fix the problem, but I hope it does. Carbs are still pretty mysterious to me, so I not sure how this will work out.

Any of you guys out there have this issue or know about this issue? What would cause this fuel dripping and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    - TC

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the needle and seat are not sealing correctly, a rebuild should correct this. a careful examination of the needle should show the problem. On higher hour engines the vibration wears the needle seat to the point where they will leak. you'll also want to check out the float arm and spring setup too.

+1
    Rebuild ALL three carbs, and replace ALL needles and seats. be sure to use only genuine Mikuni brand parts. NOT aftermarket inexpensive kits. Also make sure you install the correct needle arm spring, as the standard Mikuni kits do not include the correct 80 gram spring.

If it has not yet been done, I strongly recommend updating the complete fuel system. replace all lines, update to a triple outlet fuel pump, and replace the fuel select valve.

+1
    Tick tick boom...

No sparks please!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Rebuild ALL three carbs, and replace ALL needles and seats. be sure to use only genuine Mikuni brand parts. NOT aftermarket inexpensive kits.

Also make sure you install the correct needle arm spring, as the standard Mikuni kits do not include the correct 80 gram spring.

If it has not yet been done, I strongly recommend updating the complete fuel system. replace all lines, update to a triple outlet fuel pump, and replace the fuel selector valve.
    +1 on all this.

Click my signature links for more info regarding fuel system maintenance.

John sells a Polaris specific Mikuni carburetor rebuild kit with the parts you need.

Thread Information