2001 700cc virage

let me start buy saying hello, i am hopping to get some great info here because i don't like sending my PWC to another person, pay them $2800 and have it run one time in the cold water of Jacksonville NC only to have it not start after i get it home... i have spark from both plugs, gas, and "a new freaking motor" need help please

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Can you provide the recent service history for this machine?

Has it ever worked properly for you?

What are the current symptoms?

yes,we got 2 Polaris virage pwc back in 2004 mine is a 2002/1200 and hers is a 2001/700. they both worked real good for about 1 1/2 years, then out of the blue hers dident have any spark. there isent that meany pwc shops around here so i took the advice for an old friend, took it to a place called "BlueWater" pwc shop, they said that the brain was shot! ok i bought a new brain ($900) to install and it would be good as new he said..nope, after taking it back about 4 times i ask for part of my money back because it still dident have spark. found another shop and he spook very good game. got a call about 3 weeks later and he informed me that the motor had been taken apart and there wasent any gaskets, and that now the motor was seized. After finding a new motor, out of wash state, $1400 shipped and then installed, but then he was stumped! could not figure out why it would not run, keep in mind this man has had a well none shop that has been here for many, many years he knows his stuff. he tried for a summer and 1/2 and gave up and took it to another shop and he payed for him to make it run. he got it working and called, "george your ski is finely ready" i got it home and charged the battery and "pow it worked" the wife was happy. cranked it 3-4 times over the past few days with no problem. we put it the water today and it did great, until i got home to flush them out, and it dident crank....i pulled a plug out and checked for fire and both have fire. tried a little starter fluid and nothing... turns over very good (fast) the fresh fuel, with sea-foam. i don't know what to try...

+1
    The machine with the problem is a 2001 Virage two cylinder with carburetor, correct?

The CDI ignition module was replaced by a service shop, then the engine was replaced by another shop, then a third shop did some other repairs, and it was returned to you in 'ready to run' condition. Is this correct?

You ran it once in the water after several test starts on the trailer. It ran just fine for the water test.

When you got it home it would not start on the trailer.

Do you ride in salt water? If not, there is usually no need to 'flush it out' after riding in fresh water.

Is there any water inside the engine? When you crank it with both the spark plugs out does any water spew out the spark plug holes?

Have you checked compression?

The machine with the problem is a 2001 Virage two cylinder with carburetor, correct? YES

The CDI ignition module was replaced by a service shop, then the engine was replaced by another shop, then a third shop did some other repairs, and it was returned to you in 'ready to run' condition. Is this correct? YES

You ran it once in the water after several test starts on the trailer. It ran just fine for the water test.
    When you got it home it would not start on the trailer. YES went to start at home with no luck.

Do you ride in salt water? If not, there is usually no need to 'flush it out' after riding in fresh water. Brackish water

Is there any water inside the engine? When you crank it with both the spark plugs out does any water spew out the spark plug holes? NO

Have you checked compression? NO, DO NOT HAVE THAT TOOL.

+1
    Well, in order to do effective diagnostics and troubleshooting on these watercraft, and indeed any watercraft, a few tools are immensely helpful. Much less guessing and wasted time when you have some good tools.

The basics include, in no particular order;
    Digital Multi-meter
    Compression gauge with screw in fittings for several standard spark plugs hole sizes
    Inline neon spark tester (one for each cylinder)
    Fuel pressure gauge (0-40 PSI or more)

digital Multi-meter, got it
    i will get the others asap. thanks.

Thread Information