Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Premix or Not?

Premix or Not?

I found a small pool of oil in the bottom of my hull, just under the oil pump. I got to checking around and the only thing I can tell its coming from is one of the lines coming out of the pump that go to the carb is pulled back a little. I started checking them and noticed how 'easy' they are to pull loose. The lines seem like they are old and hardened. What kind of line can you replace those with? I'd like to have something more flexible and something that fits tighter on the barb. -OR- I was just thinking about jerking the pump off and going premix. It will be more trouble for me at the dock to refuel, but I'm thinking less trouble in the long run with not having to worry about those darn lines coming loose and having to check them every ride. What do you think?

I switched to premix a couple of years ago. For me its not to bad, I keep one of those premix ratio bottles with me. If you have to put gas in at the dock just fill a small bottle with a premesured amount of oil and just add the proper amount of gas from the dock. This may not fill up your tank but should keep you on the water longer.

Hey oldman raider, I have just bought an 03 XLT and have an oil pump block off kit ordered. What mix ratio have you found success with? ANy other items you have changed ie. fuel filter, type of plugs ? how does your bike do sitting at idel or in no wake zone, do the plugs tend to load up?

Thanks,
    B

Welcome to the forum B-Zonk.

I like to run Penzoil 100% Synthetic at a 40 to 1 ratio. I've had no problems with it loading up at idle and it does seem to smoke less than before. From reading here and other forums most people run anywhere from 30 to 1 - 50 to 1 so thought I would just split the difference. If your ski is stock 50 to 1 would be fine. I think the factory oil pump runs at 50 to 1.

I run Penzoil because it's what's at my local Walmart for 20 dollars a gallon.

The stock fuel filter works fine with premix and you should't have to do anything different with your plugs.

Matt

Thanks Matt-
    I have had an 02 stock sitting at LOTO for the past 2 years, it is 50/50 split with my father and he is 69 so he did not want me tapering with that unit and it is in prestine condition. It's his lake house and he is there more than me so that is fair. This bike I just picked up the 03 is a bit rough and I am going to see what kinda speed I can get out of it through mods and just have fun with it and keep it in Chicago with me.

This is my first shoot at these forms and this one seems to have alot less bickering and name calling on it thatn another site I have been looking at.

I like to wrench and play and appreciate and look forward to all of your knowledge in getting this thing "moving" (fast) in the right direction.

Thanks again,
    B

Thanks Raider. I actually never thought about just carrying a pre-measured bottle of oil with me and then filling up at the dock. I'm assuming that pouring the oil in first then filling it up with gas would mix it up good enough? That seems easier than carrying 3-5gal. jugs with me. Not too many times will I ride where I burn much over a tank.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Premix is the only way to go, esp. on an older machine.

I forgot to ask this earlier, but the flat metal plate that sits between the carbs and the stock airbox, can that be removed when you put F/A's on? I can't really see that its needed as long as you have a gasket for the adapters.

+1
    Pre-Mix is the only way to go. You will never have to worry about a pump failing, the hose getting hard or the hose coming off. It is the little extra insurance to know you do not have to worry about.

WaveJumper I think that plate needs to be removed in order to install the FA's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information