Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 gp1200 project

Well, it has finally begun. I have a 97 Gp1200 that I bought new in 1998. It has been great all these years and my 13 yr old son and I have been saying we need to tear it down, just to tighten everything up. When putting it away a few weeks ago, we saw that the intake is broken and a lot of the fiberglass is damaged at that corner. We have pulled the engine and I plan on flipping it over and repairing the hull and intake. What should we do while we have it apart. Please keep in mind that I want dependability overall and my 13 yr old rides it now more than anyone else. I do plan on trueing the hull and probably a new impeller. And tabs if I can get my friend to make them. What else?

I was hoping OSBill might say something about the carbs. THe ski runs very well and has been very dependable. I would like to do needed maintenance / mods while I havethe ski apart, but I dont want to hurt reliability or longevity. I have been pouring over this sight and I am in mod info overload. Any help or suggestions?

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192778

Since you are planning on impeller and tabs, could also do grate and plate while you are here. XO prop is very strongly recommended if you are not doing heavy engine mods. There is a good sticky in the old school section that will tell you about trueing and plate/grate recomendations. As far as carbs go how much are you wanting to do? Drilled return mod should be mandatory, it is easy and there is a good write up here on the forums from osidebill on it. If you are wanting to do more cutlass here on the forums knows a good bit. Here is a post that talks about some carb mods/settings. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=208727&page=2

There is more info lost in the pages of this forum than one person could ever do to one ski. Get a idea of what you want to do and serch the forums ask questions along the way. We love pics of work in progress. You are not going to get a lot of response here about what we think you should do. The 65u is a dependable motor not much can be done to make it more reliable beyond the drilled return mod.

Thanks Echo. I am starting to get a plan going here. I am thinking true hull, impeller, plate, grate and some kind of carb work. Bolt it all back togeher and go have fun. Now I have to figure out how far to go with he carbs.

+1
    Carbs are not the starting point really. Drilled return mod should be done for sure, rebuild the carbs at the same time with genuine rebuild kits, not aftermarket. Beyond that you only need to reject the carbs if you start moding the motor. After market flame arresters or removeing choke plates will require rejeting also.

I will research the drilled return mod, but choke plates have been gone for long time. I put a primer on it years ago. Should I rejet now that I will have it apart? Will flame arrestors be worth it too?

+1
    Flame aresters are one of the first things people do. Just chokes removed prob don't need to reject, but might need to change settings a bit. Pm cutlass here on the forums and ask him if he don't chime in here.

+1

So now I think I have a pretty good plan: true hull, ride plate, intake grate, tabs, impeller/prop, and carb work. For the carb work: drilled return mod, choke removal (done), aftermarket air cleaner/ flame arrestor, rebuild, and jetting to match setup. How does this sound?

We pulled the engine the other night. I will post picks soon. I also want to get feedback on the damage to the bottom of the hull when i can post those pictures.

Which flame arrestor / air cleaner should i use? I want to keep the oil injection and I have recently found out that that works through the intake (correct?). I have seen several people mention the power plenum, but I cannot find them for sale for the '97 gp1200. What others should i be looking at (that will retiain the stock oil injection)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information