Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

my Leaky IC / RPM issue "Update" thread

Okay well it's Nov and I've finally been able to get past my busy Sept/Oct and continue tackling this whole IC/RPM thing I've been wrestling with forever.
    I'd like to offer up this "Update" for anyone interested in leaky IC issues and to also bounce some thoughts off of those who've helped me along the way in PM and/or have participated in my other threads/posts through Sept.

Anyway, a very quick recap:
    Since last Spring I've been through 2 HE coolers that appeared to be leaking. They were spraying crazy water through the discharge side after a good engine warm up - never showed ill signs during any bench testing at all. During all of this wild goose chasing for 2yrs, my ski has been running fukn awesome in cold water and running much less than average in hot water/summer.
    Some of you may remember the video posted of the amount of water being sprayed from the HEs. Thoughts of condensation were debated, etc.
    Those 2 HE coolers have been shipped back to Fizzle....James mailed me a new XS cooler in Oct, instead of a 3rd HE cooler.

Latest info/results:
    I installed this new XS cooler last week and I've ridden 2 separate days so far - 2 tanks of fuel. This XS cooler doesn't spray ANY water at all. Zero water and zero condensation. Bone dry, even after a tank of gas and many WOT pulls. This was done with the same ol OEM water plumbing that I've been using since '07 and also with a new OEM/yellow restrictor washer in the pump...

Current weather while driving with new XS:
    Air has naturally cooled off since Aug into the 50s-70s between the 2 rides and the water temp is 60-65ish (pretty chilly, but not painfully cold yet).
    Aside from spraying ZERO water with this XS cooler, my ski is now only GPS'ing 78.4 @ 8050rpm in this weather with half tank fuel or less. This includes a few good superman passes and plenty of pulls. Torque is nice/decent also. However, in this similar weather during the past 2yrs (of apparently leaking ICs), I could GPS 79-81.4mph, depending on fuel level and just how cold the water and air were.

The only other things changed besides the cooler:
    Installed a used '05 pump and a new 15/20, since I busted those while blowing out the pump bearing back in Aug. Both 15/20 impellers were measured by Impros. I also did the oil mod to this pump's cone...

So, my questions/thoughts are:
    Why would I only be turning 8050 when I used to always peg 8100-8150 in cool air/water?
    And, could the water getting sprayed into my engine from leaky IC's be the reason I was running like a raped ape at 79-81.4mph in winter and yet, only doing 72-74ish @ 76-7700rpm in the summer? <---- hot water getting sprayed into engine vs cold water? (some have mentioned that as the reason or possibility)

Lastly, *before 2yrs ago*, my ski never lost more than 150rpms to the heat here (so my 76-7700 is not all from heat fade) and I don't believe I've ever GPSed anything 80+ before 2yrs ago.
    It's too bad the seasons have started to change by the installation of this XS....if it were still Aug, I'd be able to see if I was still way down at 76-7700rpm with this "dry" IC vs the 2 HEs (plus my old original XS type) that were all spraying water.
    So, for now, I'm stuck only confirming that those others were leaking and this one does not leak a single drop...no absolute RPM confirmation since the Nov weather is now affecting that. Other than all of this, I'm just waiting to see what Fizzle discovers when he test drives those 2 HEs that were spraying me.

Thanks for reading!...I broke into several paragraphs to make for an easier read hopefully.
    Sean

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I knew not to click on this..... I just don't have time to read a book right now

Well, it's a "update" so I wanted to bring some points back up to speed....I thought the paragraphs were a nice touch though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Well, it's a "update" so I wanted to bring some points back up to speed....I thought the paragraphs were a nice touch though
    Sorry I still have not been able to install the intercoolers and run them on my ski.

What are your compression numbers?

+1

I guess it is a little lengthy for some of you sensitive guys, especially if you're reading on a cell phone.
    Instead of posting a half assed thread and getting a ton of redundant questions like "what RPMs were you getting" or "what were the temps then and now" etc, I thought I'd just lay it all out and start fresh - since it has been 2 months and I don't expect anyone to remember older threads. It's not like its a 500 page build thread about a 75mph ski or my 15th different ?? thread in a single week. Whatever though. My bad for trying to think thoughtfully around here.

+1
    Cant. Believe you are still chasing this ghost.
    Your ski is slower and turning less rpm because you swapped to a much less efficient IC.
    You don't see the condensation spraying like before because your IC doesn't cool as well.
    It is totally normal to fluctuate a couple hundred rpms with weather changes

8. +1 by:

+1
    Another thing to keep in mind is that your stating your ski ran 81mph at 8100-8150. In order to do this your prop has to move a bit more water than your average 15/20 which in turn puts more load on the engine. The more prop you turn the bigger the rpm fluctuation will be with weather changes.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I guess it is a little lengthy for some of you sensitive guys, especially if you're reading on a cell phone. Instead of posting a half assed thread and getting a ton of redundant questions like "what RPMs were you getting" or "what were the temps then and now" etc, I thought I'd just lay it all out and start fresh - since it has been 2 months and I don't expect anyone to remember older threads. It's not like its a 500 page build thread about a 75mph ski or my 15th different ?? thread in a single week. Whatever though. My bad for trying to think thoughtfully around here.
    Oh don't worry... We all remember .. How could we ever forget?????? Why are you still chasing this? I have way more weather fluctuation than you will have and I'm running a fizz HE cooler as well and running like a 15/24ish prop and I don't drop rpm my ski runs in 30 degree heat or 10 degree weather 8550-8600 with riva ecu....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    I knew not to click on this..... I just don't have time to read a book right now
    I have tears in my eyes from reading this

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information