+1

Boom, hunks of metal in the bilge.

I was running my 2000 gp 1200r (180 hrs) and I knew I had a bad failure as the engine made all sorts of noises then barely ran. It took a few weeks to get it home to take a look. First thing I did was check compression. starting at cylinder 1 I read 110, 100, 0 psi. Surprised to not get any compression so I started to tear down. after a bit of disassembly a glitter caught my eye, and it was a large hunk of piston arm sitting in the bilge. I've got lots of shrapnel down there so I blew in a bad way busting out of the crank case. Here's what I have inside. What does this look like? water ingestion? I did get it full of lake water about a month prior but got it clear and running within a few hours. Thoughts on what went wrong and recommendations welcome. I likely will get a quote on a rebuild from a good guy locally as well as looking at a rebuilt crate motor with a warranty to put in myself.
    Plugs: #3 is the bad one
    Head:

Pistons:

+1
    looks like it lost lubrication

+1
    Sounds like you will need a good crankshaft and cases if you decide to rebuild locally. If not you will need some usable cores for a SBT type of exchange program.

Scott

+1
    Crankcase top and bottom is shot. Looks like the arm went through the side. Surprisingly the crank looks golden. Spins freely with the other two pistons. One jug and piston assembly is toast obviously but the powervalve is good. I'll try to post more pictures. Will SBT want a whole crankcase? If I have to go hunting parts just to get a new motor I may be better off building with the parts I find. So far all opinions are it lost lubrication. Nothing obvious like popped oil lines (I don't pre-mix) however I don't know the state of the carbs.

+1
    The crank is shot (or needs rebuilt) if the rod went thru the block, you will have damage you cannot see, such as the rod being bent, the bearings brinnelled, ect. The water you got in it previously may have been the beginning of the end.

+1
    Agree your crank needs a looking at with that kinda case damage. Sbt does require good useable cases with rebuild exchange. Most here do not use sbt for motors with coated cylinders as they do not re coat them, they just use sleeves. If you are considering them there is a price sheet on their web site for welding charges to damaged cases.

Thread Information