Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

SBT steering cables any good ?

The RXP steering binds up a little at full left lock so I was going to install a new cable over the winter.

OEM from a canadian dealer with my discount is $180, SBT is $120. Anyone have experience with SBT cables, good deal or buck up and stick with OEM ?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    With something that important.... you shouldn't even question it. SBT doesn't have the best reputation in the world for quality.... do you wanna gamble on loosing your steering with their "cheaper" cable??? Personally.... I'd feel more comfortable with buying a used OEM vs a new SBT cable, if your looking to save some $$$

+1
    I've used many sbt cables on many skis and never had an issue. Big daddy just hates everything about sbt.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I used an SBT steering cable on the last Seadoo boat I had in, seemed to be OK. The customer supplied it. Generally I don't take customer parts to install, but seeing this guy had three other cables ) one OEM, one ebay used and one previous SBT that he cross threaded the adjustment nuts on in the boat that he fugged up on install, I thought I'd give him a break and not gripe about him bringing the part.

Given that I would not want to do the job twice, I would use an OEM cable given the small chance of a defect. Installing steering cables can be tricky and it is unfortunate but they seem to be easily damaged during install if you are impatient

Unless money is a true issue, I'd go with OEM.

+1
    I wouldn't trust SBT, go with oem. Only thing I used from sbt were gaskets and the accordion black rubber boot on the drive shaft and after it came it is stamped bombardier on it. Go figure. I purchased 2 pump rebuild kits and after they came I quickly returned them.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I have not had an issue, I had to replace 2 on a pair of 05 rxps and they are still going strong.

Sean

+1
    I am under the impression that SBT sells a lot of re-packaged OEM, and re-packaged WSM brand parts... WSM brand parts seem to be equal to OEM if not sometimes better. I have never used the cables personally, but i have used just about everything else. The life of cables is highly dependent on the care taken to properly protect the metal parts from salt water.
    Last edited by wkuadam07; 01-02-2014 at 03:43 PM.

+1
    I went through 3 SBT Cables til I got one that actually did not bind. Read the return policy too you will be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    I went through 3 SBT Cables til I got one that actually did not bind. Read the return policy too you will be amazed

Tim is correct we did have a few hiccups when we first launched our cable line and he did have to warrant two cables from SBT. The first cable had a binding issue, and the second cable was not crimped properly at the end. Both issues were addressed and fixed in 2010. Have you had any problems with that cable in the last 3 years?

+1
    No thanks... wow blast from past Im famous

Ski is Gone but the last Cable was Fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information