+1

rxp cluster took on water help !!!!

my 07 rxp looks like the cluster took on water somehow ski wasn't flipped or anything when I put the key and start the ski cluster lights up and then it fades away the compass still works always but nothing else works is there anyway to fix this help please !!!!!!!!

+1
    The only way to fix it is to replace it.
    When its replaced your ski will need to be hooked up to buds or Candoo so the new guage can be married to your ski.
    Try to find a used guage its a lot cheaper than new.
    New guages are around $600+
    Either way new or used the guage will need to be married to your ski to operate properly.

+1
    This just happened to a friends ski here a month or two ago. Replacement came to be the only option, we found him one here on the forum used, and very luckily it was one of the newer "universal" part numbers, not the one that was original and it's functioning flawlessly now. We didn't have to marry it to the MPEM, never had to plug it up, but the key is getting one of the newer ones. Perhaps he got really lucky, but it worked properly as soon as we plugged it up.

We later went to the trouble to cut the old one open and try to diagnose the water damage and possibly get out the soldering iron and fix it, but we found a lot of microscopic size surface mount ic chips, and everything we knew how to test like resistors, capacitors, small fuses, etc were all checking good, so what exactly the water damaged on his is a mystery.

What we did learn is that those things have a breather hole, and i think i am going to silicone the breather holes shut on all of mine and take a chance that keeping water out will do more good than the breather hole will do.

+1
    Yep he is talking about my cluster. The main thing is when you get a new one make sure it is sealed! My old one had some small cracks in the lens and i'm sure that is how moisture got in. One thing to note is what ever hours is on the gauge you get that is what it will show on your ski. The gauge hours basically show time powered up. The ECU stores actual hours. I am sort of the local electronics guru and once we got the cluster open I saw real quick there wasn't much chance to fix it!

+1
    There is a option may or may not work take gauge out and take out vent tube and sit it on top of a lamp making sure its about 6 inches away from bulb and bulb no more than a 60 watt

+1
    So this is a thought... has anyone experimented with preventative action for stopping the water from getting into these gauge clusters? I just made a trade for an 07 GTX LTD that i am going to keep and i remember the grief that Matt experienced with his 07 RXT when his gauges went out right before a ride while we were in Florida... We found a small crack around the seam that was the demise of his gauges.

My gauges work fine now... But i am contemplating taking them out and sealing all possible leaks with grease or silly-cone or something in an effort to stop them from costing me money.

Any thoughts? Seal the vent? Leave the vent and smear all the other possible places to leak?

+1
    The vent is a check valve the factory pulls a vacuum on the gauge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The vent is a check valve the factory pulls a vacuum on the gauge.
    plus 1

Thread Information