+1

FX160 ECU Info plz

I have searched and got glimpses of my answers, but I guess I need someone to tell me straight up!

1. Is there a good way to put a Air/Fuel ratio sensor into the exhaust? Where and how?
    2. Is there a good way to put a fuel pressure regulator into the fuel rail?
    3. Is there a way to read the Air/Fuel from the fx160 ECU?
    4. Is there a way to completely replace the ECU and run a MSD type system, or is it not worth it?
    5. What would the fx160 ECU do if I threw 3-5 psi of boost at it?

Thanks guys, sorry for the "old" engine type of questions. I realize they aren't as fun as putting supercharger parts on a new 1.8!

+1
    Just sell and and get you a fz series. There would be too much headache trying to do anything for that ski

+1
    Yeah... that's what everyone keeps saying. I have a boat though. Twin mr-1 HO motors. Just trying to break 55 with the darn thing, but thought putting a couple turbo's would be fun. Until they blow up of course.
    Everyone just says upgrade to a newer whatever, but it's just not an option. The newer boats can give you the 1.8 NA and that's just as fast as mine with a couple parts on it. Not worth it. I own this boat, I want to go faster. I'm willing to tinker in the off season.
    Back to the question at hand? No one has ever put a A/F sensor? No one has put in a Fuel pressure regulator? No one has replaced the ECU altogether with these?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Shoot me a message so I dont forget.

+1
    Have you tried opening up the exhaust and improving the air intake? Do they sell bigger cams? Advancing the timing? Maybe a small 25 shot of dry nitrous oxide? I know a guy that has many patent designs for edelbrocks nitrous systems he has designed for them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Have you tried opening up the exhaust and improving the air intake? Do they sell bigger cams? Advancing the timing? Maybe a small 25 shot of dry nitrous oxide? I know a guy that has many patent designs for edelbrocks nitrous systems he has designed for them.
    Done: Velocity Stack, Pulled air filter, Solas 14/20 impellers (still tuning them slightly for rpm's) Iridium plugs, sealed the pumps up, polished both pumps.
    I tried a straight through exhaust to see if that would do ANYTHING. No top end gain and just made it sluggish. Put stock back on.
    Doing the math, the intake ports and even the velocity stacks are too big for the motor and rpm! They are designed for the bike much more so than the boat! I calculated between 12,000 and 13,000 rpm whereas these engine on the boats go only to 10,000. This is calculated from the volume of the intake btw, which takes into engine size (1052cc) and rpm. I don't have cam specs, but I did do some figuring on the intake runner length etc.
    So, I want to fill the intake up!
    That's why I thought a blower of some sort would fit the bill, but I'm scared of what the ECU will do with any kind of boost. I would also need to tune it with the AFR gauge and FPR.
    I think I'm into uncharted territory here, so I may have to just TRY something.
    Ecoboost turbo's from the v6 are going on ebay for like 600-800 bucks for guys upgrading them already. It would be almost a perfect match as the flow characteristics of the turbo would match up with the MR-1 engine specs. Fighting the high compression may need to be addressed as well, which I have a few ideas for as well, but my main concern here is the ECU.

With proper tuning of the fuel system and possibly an aftermarket ECU, the turbo system may just be not needed. I would love to hit 60 in this boat. If not, maybe I'll just wait another 10 years until they offer one with the supercharged 1.8.

+1
    You would need to change the pistons then. Do they offer different ones?

+1
    I HAVE found a couple pistons a while back, but they were pretty pricey. I would probably only be running a couple psi, and would run it through an intercooler of some sort, so hopefully detonation wouldn't be a problem. I know guys have had adjustable cam sprockets on the bikes so that may be an option if I take the heads off in order to get rid of some of the timing etc. in it. I'm basically thinking that even 1 psi would be HUGE because of the volume of the intake.
    I also looked at doing something with Ram Air type effect. I understand the ski's have ram air, and the bikes have ram air, and I would think that's probably where the volume of the ports would be filled a bit better without having to actually have a blower/turbo on it.
    The main thing I can't get around is the tuning aspect of it all. IF I can't tune it, it's pointless.
    Thus, the ECU and A/F ratio problems.

Thread Information