Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

P1AquaX St. Cloud Race Review

Pros:

1) Top Notch as far as organization. AquaX shares the site, course, course Marshall's, registration area, meeting areas & pits with the P1 power boat people. A little tight in the pits due to marina area available but it worked out fine.
    2) Impressive sponsership backing. Television coverage, photographers, helicopter coverage, abundant course marshalls.
    3)Good job of sticking to time schedule. Motos went off in a timely manner with all the little ducks (boats) in a row.
    4) AquaX provided box lunches for everyone. Very nice.
    5) Course marshals & race officials held people accountable who jumped the start or did not hold their line to the 1st bout. Infractions were reviewed & penaltys assessed fairly to some pretty well know riders.
    6) Timely scoring posted.
    7) Information & updates sent to your email so no excuse for missing something.
    More than fair entry fees & more than fair payouts from what I understand.
    9) Very nice venue. Great dining, meeting, bar area close by. Spectator friendly. Live play by play announcers.

Cons:

1) Considering how difficult it was to move trailers & skis around in the pit area, I feel it
    would have been much easier for the rider to engage the tech person & take tech to your boat instead of being required to pull your boat over in front of the AquaX trailer for tech.
    2) Currently, P1AquaX will not let you race a back-up boat or borrow a boat if the race ski you had teched has a failure. Tyler's Kawi 300 Had a catastrophic engine failure after 10 minutes of racing in the Superpole moto on Saturday. I usually don't go anywhere without a backup ski but in this case we did not have one. We were offered the use of another riders ski but when we informed tech, we were told it was not allowed according to P1AquaX rules. I was shocked. To begin with, we were racing in the Cup class & were no threat to anyone in the premier Stock class. We drove 1200 miles one-way, spent a good bit of money & had to cool our heels for the rest of the weekend.
    It was explained by a very gracious English gentleman that the rules exist to favor average Joe racer who cannot afford backup boats & this is an attempt to level the playing field. I love & understand the concept of Stock bracket racing but strongly disagree with the current rules prohibiting the use of a backup boat or borrowing someone else's boat. If I have 2 boats that have passed tech, & have come halfway across the country to have a good time racing, then I don't think it is beyond reason to allow the racer the ability to race. If the P1AquaX is fine with predominantly local & regional Florida racers who have minimal travel expense filling the start line then so be it. If AquaX would like to encourage future participation from other states then a look at some of the existing rules as they currently apply would be in order.
    3) I understand that this series is all about Stock class racing but if a Cup class is offered, at least mention the results of that class along with the premier Stock classes.

Overall, this was one of the best events we've been to in a long time. Very refreshing to see large rider turnout with lots of new racers. The rapid growth in entries from the 1st race to the last reflects the exciting potential that P1AquaX presents. I have made this post to inform & encourage any racers out there considering participation in P1AquaX to check it out. I think you will be very pleased. As well, I hope that AquaX might consider some refinement to the secondary ski thing as plans are made for next year.

Doug
    TAD Racing

+1
    Great info good heads up sorry you went all that way and couldn't compete...I will be traveling also 1000+ miles and don't want any last minute surprises next yr...
    Ive been in contact with someone in charge on FB going over stock rules for the Ultra 300....

+1
    Great writeup Mr. Doug. THank you for sharing you experience for those that are interested in this series.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like a great promotion. Except the 1 ski deal. Hope they make their way out west. See you in February. Sorry to read about your ski.

+1
    my opinion is no professional racer is ever going to win this series, its designed for getting new racers into the sport, people that can buy a new or used ski, with no wild expensive mods, can fil up up with pump gas and race, the professional racers are being allowed to race to encourage the new people to race side by side with big name racers. why would a new racer want to race in a series he knows he has no chance of winning in ?????? saw this with my own two eyes at east lake toho, as i said my opinion of what i saw, seems the every well known racer was DQed for something or other.......

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    my opinion is no professional racer is ever going to win this series, its designed for getting new racers into the sport, people that can buy a new or used ski, with no wild expensive mods, can fil up up with pump gas and race, the professional racers are being allowed to race to encourage the new people to race side by side with big name racers. why would a new racer want to race in a series he knows he has no chance of winning in ?????? saw this with my own two eyes at east lake toho, as i said my opinion of what i saw, seems the every well known racer was DQed for something or other.......

True Big John but if this event grows the Maccs,Farthings,Ruises etc will enter then they will have to probably break up the classes Pro Am , Novice, Veteran,Masters etc ..BUT stock boat is stock boat other than the handling mods so that will never change other than the Cup Class which "I believe" is an unlimited race category...maybe someone can clarify

BTW...JOHN ,I believe I saw you on cable tv "motorcyle outlaws"
    Last edited by jetdave56; 11-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.

+1
    The Cup class is an unlimited class.

As long as this series is promoted & sponsored as well as it is then you can bet money that well known Pro riders will show up & they "Will" win. Already you have Synder, Francis, Schdelmayer, Hawkins, & Lagapalous from closed course showing up as well as White from the Endurance side. That's pretty darn impressive already. Farthing & Warner are only a few hours away in Georgia. From what I saw, it was pretty apparent that a lot of riders underestimated the conditioning it takes to do well in these type of motos. As well, unless a lot of the Pros I saw are tied contractually to SeaDoo, I would guess they will be wanting to be on an Ultra next year, particularly in the surf races.

The St. Cloud race had 38 entries & I think 35 started on Saturday. I think that AquaX had planned on limiting the race to 30 entries. This limited number of entries was by choice as the race organizers elect to grow slowly.

Dave is right, AquaX may eventually decide to offer class racing. But these courses are big enough to allow a large number of boats racing at the same time. I think that "Joe Racer" only gets tired of getting his butt handed to him when he is out gunned and knows it, as is the current state of Stock class racing under the IJSBA where Stock boats go close to 80 mph. I would think that as long as "Joe Racer knows that he is racing against Pro Racer Guy & they are on equal Stock boats, then he is going to jump at the chance to compete on an equal playing field.

9. +1 by:

+1
    The draw back and a big discussion within the Aqua X community is their claim of stock skis is still too laxed. The guys that were on legitimate stock skis can not compete against the "built" stock skis. I know that some Ultras were turning 7800. That is not stock. Quite a few are lobbying for box stock. I am in favor of that.
    The plus to this and what I would recommend people look into is not only getting into the 300 class. In the 250 class the FX SHO shown to be a good ski. I think that an Ultra 250x would be a very good ski to compete in this class. Currently there are none. The 200 class also can be something to look into if you have a VXR. With most of the races being on calm water that is the ski to have. If the race is going to be a rough water race I think it could be anyone's race. I even think in a true offshore race the Ultra LX would be a great ski.
    I curious to see where they will put the 310. The class is to 300. It is over that limit.
    Last edited by lasportsmn; 11-25-2013 at 10:07 PM.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Tech was pretty stiff. As long as the ECU issue is addressed & handled correctly, anything else should be easy to handle. Of course that is the big question. How to make sure someone is not reflashing their ECU just enough to get an edge. Right now AquaX still has the honor system. But we all know racing, someone will try & take advantage. From what I saw, I think P1AquaX has enough financial resources to address this issue. The P1 power boats have to use props that are provided by the P1 organizers and are distributed at the race site. What is to keep AquaX from having a few stock ECU's to be randomly distributed or perhaps automatically assigned to the podium finishers of each moto. I think something could be worked out.

As far as someone running 7800 rpms I think that is conjecture. And I think I know where it may have originated. Our boat had issues that were developing & worsening by the minute & I was unaware. On Friday, Tyler took the boat out & when he came in he told me it was only hitting 7800 rpms. We did not GPS it. On Saturday during the Superpole race, Tyler pulled the start and he should have considering he was running a speed by pass. He should have continued to build his lead over Francis but after a few laps it was oblivious that Francis's boat was maintaining his distance behind Tyler. Shortly after, Tyler's boat blew out the dipstick & dumped most of the oil & he was done. After the race a few people asked how many rpms Tyler's boat was running & if 7800 how was Francis keeping up? In other words, a few were suspecting something. However, when I took our boat out the next morning, I took a GPS. Our boat was barely hitting 7400 rpms & speed was only 67.1 mph. Shortly after, it threw a rod. I believe that our boat was going slower by the lap & was actually running close to stock speeds. For that reason, I feel that Eric's boat was running stock speeds. Heck, there was another Ultra there that pulled away from Eric on Sunday on both motos & built a size able lead, but I think Eric just ran him down because he was better conditioned. If I was going to suspect any boat it probably would have been that Ultra.

13. +1 by:

+1
    The "other " Ultra that was there was STOCK.....so stock that is hasn't even had it first oil change.
    I personally believe AQUA x is gonna take more riding skill than having the fastest ski there.
    Remember a lot of the will be in the surf....

15. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information