Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What would you do.2nd hand dodgy ski In OZ.

So I have a mate that was looking for a ski. I recommended for him to by a new ski, but did not quite have the cash. So he was looking for a second hand unit. I found him one from a well known dealer in Oz. I told him to give him a ring and find out the finer details. The chick sent him so pictures of the ski to show him a miner scratch on the hood. It was a 2009 fx with 74 hrs. he got them to throw in a level 1 reflash with the deal. He put down a $100 deposit and said he was on his way to pick it up. The chick said wait a week so we can order you a trailer because we just sold the one that was with the deal.

So he waited a week and drove a 22hr round trip to get his ski. Half way home he stopped over night and thought he would put the ski in for a run. back it of the trailer and realised he had no steering. Found that the ball that the steering cable attaches to had unscrewed. maybe from the long drive?. reattached the steering and took it for a run. message me after and told me how stoked he was with the buy. he then took the ski out for half a tank the next weekend with no problems. We then organised a ride Monday afternoon. I said it would be a good idea to have a good look over the ski. He said yeah it would because he had a cooling line come off that was attached to the pump. That he noticed after cleaning the ski.

What I noticed after inspection

- pump tunnel hand been reinforced with carbon
    - it had two extra cooling lines installed with only one being used.
    - lots of engine corrosion
    - scratchers all over the paint a plastics
    - rubber boot missing from reverse lever
    - hose clamp missing from extra cooling for intercooler
    - blocked breather hose on fuel tank. He had used half a tank of fuel. breather hose was pinched between reverse lever. Wow. Never seen that before.
    - electrical wiring behind cluster hanging and not secure.
    -gasket sealant around rocket cover gasket?

ok so some miner things some are a bonus and some are a fucking joke. There web site state that every ski sold is looked over and water tested. It clear that this ski was not looked over or water tested.

After we fixed the things we could and contacting him with the fuel tank issue he apologised.

7 hours later the super charger clutch went.

Well don't I feel like ass for recommending the ski a good mate.

he rung him and he did not want anything to do with it? he offered a second hand 09 clutch for free. Yeah thanks. What dealer would even think that was a option. He also offered a 2013 clutch and idler gear for costed which worked out dearer than what he could buy on here delivered.

My mate was devastated. I told him to ring a guy in Sydney who was a dealer and service guy and has been for some time. He to was shocked to here that he did not sort him out some how. A week had pasted and he dropped the ski to be repaired. After repairing the ski. It would not turn over. The ski was washed and flushed running the sc had failed and stored with the seat off. The engine was locked. The service guy dropped some oil into the cylinders and let it sit form some time and got the ski the start. The service guy was going to take it for a water. We are yet to hear the final results.

So I would like your opinions.

I think any mods to the ski should have been noted and a more thorough inspect should have been carried out before sale. Any faults with the ski should have been covered by the deal. If I knew the ski had mods I would have told him to stay well clear. My guest is that the ski has had head work, at on stage had a am wheel and intercooler.

I don't know lessen for me and all I guest. Don't recommended shit. It don't matter how much people talk up some dealers just remember most are arse lickers and never see this side of them.

Sounds like the ski had some work done to it and they took it all out, (intercooler for sure) that explains the extra water line

everything that there you had an issue is proof the ski had more gear on it.. So I guess they didn't put it all back together right.. That happens a lot don't be surprised when people put a half ass job when bringing it back to stock

+1
    You should always ride before buying!!!!

+1
    'Lots of engine corrosion,'
    that should tell you something right there.

+1
    Yep. This is my mates first ski and maybe he was blinded by excitement. Yeah the ski was cheap but it should have been treated like a new ski going out the door. As for the clutch failing after 7 hours they should have covered parts at least because it was not possible to return the ski for repairs being so far away.

+1
    Well don't be too hard on yourself, remember your first recommendation for him was to buy a new ski. Yamaha does have a new certified pre-owned program here in the States to help provide protection for these second-hand buyers, but I'm not sure if they offer it in other countries.

My advice for buying a pre-owned ski is always get one with a year or two left on the extended warranty, that way you are covered. Yamaha offers a full 5 year Y.E.S. warranty here in the states, and it can be transferred to the new owner. But again, I'm not sure if they offer it in your area.

Hopefully he gets it sorted out, but let's face it; if the engine has heavy corrosion that means somebody neglected to flush it and if that's the case then it's likely he's going to have more problems down the road, so might be a good idea to get it running then trade it on a newer unit with a warranty.

+1
    DITO, I made the same mistake with my Aussie son-n-law. I recommended a used car @ auction even helped him to get it .... wow has it been a nightmare .... can you lemon !!! I will never over recommend any high ticket item t

DITO I did the same thing with my Aussie son-n-law. I recommend a used car @ auction. Well it turned out to be a nightmare ... can you say Lemon !!! I felt so bad ... he could have bought a new one after all the $$ sunk into it. I am very careful to always think Buyer beware. I hope he can recoup some of his loss and get a ski that will give him years of enjoyment.

+1
    Name and shame the dealer that is disgusting an 09 with 74 hrs !!!!! It sounds to me most if not all the faults are from bad workmanship.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I am not here to shame anyone. I would take it up with them before I say anything on here. Mainly to point out the trust I put in to another people opinion don't mean a thing. Thanks for your feed back guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2540 View Post
    I am not here to shame anyone. I would take it up with them before I say anything on here. Mainly to point out the trust I put in to another people opinion don't mean a thing. Thanks for your feed back guys.
    G'day mate just read this, poor bugger I really feel for your mate. It's fair to assume that a dealer would do the right thing. Flick me a pm with which dealer it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information