Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: New ski

  1. #1
    planiack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Punta Gorda
    Posts
    181

    New ski

    I am thinking about getting a new ski. The dealer is trying to convince me that the VXR is just a fast as the as the FX SVHO. I understand that the top speed is is going to be close but he says that is is almost a quick to 60 MPH. He attributes it to the fact that the VXR is about 150 lbs lighter. Well all you Yamaha gurus out there, what are the REAL facts.
    Mike


  2. #2
    The Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    S.E. Louisiana - Ponchatoula
    Posts
    911
    +1
    169
    No guru, but it will be close. The new SVHO should get there a bit quicker The 2014 VXR lost some more weight as well. May be a sub- 700# ski now. Really depends more where and how you will be riding & if you have future plans for it to be a 75+ mph ski. Good luck !!!

  3. #3
    OzarkYamMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lake Of The Ozarks
    Posts
    2,152
    +1
    295
    If the money for the new 2014 SVHO is around the same and not a great deal more ... I say go for the SVHO. It is the best engineer Yamaha to date. They really got it right with the whole package. Engine, hull, and propulsion.

  4. #4
    planiack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Punta Gorda
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    No guru, but it will be close. The new SVHO should get there a bit quicker The 2014 VXR lost some more weight as well. May be a sub- 700# ski now. Really depends more where and how you will be riding & if you have future plans for it to be a 75+ mph ski. Good luck !!!
    The ski still tips the scale at about 725#. If I wanted to make it a 75 MPH + ski, what would that entail.

  5. #5
    1200 stx-r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,517
    +1
    200
    Unless u do what greenhulk did to his vxr it will never see 75 mph. Not sure on the svho. If i had to do it over i would buy a s/c ski. Easier to get big numbers if thats what u are after.

  6. +1 by:


  7. #6
    The Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    S.E. Louisiana - Ponchatoula
    Posts
    911
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    Unless u do what greenhulk did to his vxr it will never see 75 mph. Not sure on the svho. If i had to do it over i would buy a s/c ski. Easier to get big numbers if thats what u are after.
    There's your answer right there, "planiack". Buy Bruce's 74 mph VXS so he can upgrade to the new SVHO !!!

  8. #7
    1200 stx-r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,517
    +1
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    Unless u do what greenhulk did to his vxr it will never see 75 mph. Not sure on the svho. If i had to do it over i would buy a s/c ski. Easier to get big numbers if thats what u are after.
    There's your answer right there, "planiack". Buy Bruce's 74 mph VXS so he can upgrade to the new SVHO !!!
    Haha I have been thinking about selling and getting a s/c ski. I have about 50 hours On it and 3 years left of YES warranty and it is not worth the loss i would take at this time. But I like how you think !!!

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8
    CJ's gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    685
    +1
    34
    Well not sure about the SVHO but my friend has a stock vxr and a stock FZS. they run almost neck and neck but the FZS does pull ahead eventually.

  11. #9

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    290
    +1
    16
    If you are okay with having about 80% percent of acceleration the FX SVHO has without the maintenance/complexity/cost of the supercharger I would say go with the VXR. I love mine and recently had it on the lake with a 2012 Seadoo GTR. We would top out at around the same speed and whoever took off first was going to stay in the lead but I couldn't touch his acceleration when he spooled that supercharger up first.


    Quote Originally Posted by planiack View Post

    The ski still tips the scale at about 725#. If I wanted to make it a 75 MPH + ski, what would that entail.
    My personality was to go with the simpler cheaper VXR and not look back. Based on you already asking this question I think the FX will probably be the better choice for you.

  12. #10
    Jarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    3,011
    +1
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    I love mine and recently had it on the lake with a 2012 Seadoo GTR. We would top out at around the same speed and whoever took off first was going to stay in the lead but I couldn't touch his acceleration when he spooled that supercharger up first.
    You can fix that with a couple of minor mods. My daughter can run neck and neck to 65 MPH with a 2008 Stage I RXP-X from a holeshot. The VXR/S can be made to be fairly quick with the right tweaking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. avoided buying a new ski for wife
    By JIM'S PERFORMANCE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 03:37 PM
  2. Got a new ski
    By Billd in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
  3. new ski
    By START in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
  4. Bayou Princess hits the water on her new ski
    By Green Hulk in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
  5. Advise for a couple of new skis
    By jack in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •