+1

carbed 951 engine rebuild

I have a few questions for the 2 stroke people. I have a 1998 gsx ltd that lost a piston last year and I am doing a full rebuild. With that, what are some good mods to do while I am in there? I want to make sure to build this right and am not afraid to spend money since I plan on keeping it for a while, but don't want to go crazy as it is a rec. ski. I was looking at a lower compression head on ebay, but are there matching pistons that go well with them? What are some other things to look at and where do you get most of your parts?

Also, while it is out, is there a place to send the carbs to have them rebuilt? and can you jet them or mod them in any way?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a 4 stroke guy and new to the 2 stroke world.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for your feedback.

Jeff

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Look at Rossier engineering for their kits. my experience says use the stock pipe always

+1
    Thanks sea-one. It looks like rossier has a nice selection. Looks like I will be getting the carbon tech reed valves, carb jetting kit, and flame arrestor kit. Too bad they don't make the head any more though.

It is looking like a 49cc head, a stock full rebuild and blocking off the oil squiters and going pre-mixed is the way to go past that.

I have rebuilt the carbs, but is there a person that you guys use to re-do them? I want to have them re-jetted and a full rebuild to be sure that there is not an issue with them. If there is a person or a place that does this, please let me know as I am ready to start getting things rolling on this engine.

Thanks again for all your help,

Jeff

I would be very careful on the 951 two stroke engine. You have to get everything right and know your carbs are dialed in or you will be rebuilding it again in a year. sea-doo.net does head mods and carb mods that match the changes they do. The also rebuild motors and make changes you can request. I had my 951 rebuilt by them in 2005 and it is still running STRONG ---had level 1 kit installed with their matching carb mod, flywheel lightened and prop tweaked by them. They preset the carbs to very close to what they should be set to with their mods. MY level 1 uses 91-93 octane which is expensive these days but they can bring it down to reg octane with some low end loss. I think their level 1 kit is like $500 and you have to send them the parts. I don't recall if my arresters/covers were included. I would not hesitate to have these guys perform work for me. I think their level 1 kit is about the best mod you can perform on the stock 951 without major $$ modifications. I still use the stock variable oil pump on all my skis...seadoo and Yamaha.

Thread Information