Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

03' Crank in 07' Block Tech Question (changing position of gear)

Hey Guys,

I had a timing chain snap and a piece wedged between the gear that meshes with balance shaft and mangled it up one of the journals on crank is bad too. I have an 03' crank, that I have removed the gear (when I say gear I mean the gear that has the locating pin on it) Can I just reposition this 03' gear so that it is in the position required for the 06+ setup? drop in in with a new balance shaft and be good to go?

+1
    Thats the flywheel. The flywheel dosent matter but the trigger wheel matters.

Align the trigger wheel to be in the same position it was. This requires drilling a hole in the new location for the alinment pin.

+1
    Did you pull the gear with the pin??? Or are you talking about the flywheel?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    I removed the gear with the pin, that's pressed on the crank. I have a second 06 gear (with locating pin). I'm hoping that I can just press the 06' gear on the 03' crank in the 06' position. Am I making sense or am I out in the weeds?

+1
    Most people dont press the gear off. Thats unchartered waters for me anyway.

I would think you could press it back on in the other position.

Most people just drill hole and reclock the trigger wheel and go.

Make sure the gear is timed right.

Quote Originally Posted by B.L.P. View Post
    I removed the gear with the pin, that's pressed on the crank. I have a second 06 gear (with locating pin). I'm hoping that I can just press the 06' gear on the 03' crank in the 06' position. Am I making sense or am I out in the weeds?
    If you can press the gear on the exact position it should be, then this is the proper way to do it. I don't know a good way of ensuring you have it pressed exactly at the right spot, other than a fixture, though.

As you can see in this thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147773 a lot of guys just reclock the trigger wheel two bolt holes (no need to drill holes if you pull pin) but this is NOT the best option, since there is several degrees difference between the early and late cranks with the position of the trigger wheel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by B.L.P. View Post
    If you can press the gear on the exact position it should be, then this is the proper way to do it. I don't know a good way of ensuring you have it pressed exactly at the right spot, other than a fixture, though.

As you can see in this thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147773 a lot of guys just reclock the trigger wheel two bolt holes (no need to drill holes if you pull pin) but this is NOT the best option, since there is several degrees difference between the early and late cranks with the position of the trigger wheel.
    Thanks guys,

Yes I just pressed it off, and was going to just build a jig heater' up and press it on in. Kinda wish I stumbled upon that thread seadood posted though. Little easier than method I'm doin ...

Does anybody know the amount of degrees difference between the 05 older and 06+ trigger whell locating pins? Because the bolt holes rotated clockwise a bit is it about 113 degrees?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxzx121 View Post
    Does anybody know the amount of degrees difference between the 05 older and 06+ trigger whell locating pins? Because the bolt holes rotated clockwise a bit is it about 113 degrees?
    Just replied to your PM. new 06+ crank in a old ski the trigger wheel needs to go clockwise 2 bolt holes from where the pin is.
    So you drill a hole 2 bolt holes counter clockwise to make the trigger wheel go 2 bolt holes clockwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information