SPOT2 vs. SPOT3 Satellite Tracking

Review is here: http://pwcoffshore.com/Offshore_Gear_Review.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	318963  

+1
    Before I bought my E.P.I.R.B., I researched these by going to Amazon and was shocked by the reviews of their customer disservice. To wit:
    BUT THE WORST PART IS THE AUTO-BILLING POLICY! Spot forces you to have an auto-renewal subscription of $160 every year. And if you want to cancel it, you better be ready a year later to remember the exact date to do it. They renew on your renewal date, but they charge your credit card on the last day of the 1st week of the NEXT MONTH. Then you get your credit card statement, and then you call to cancel, and forget it you are outside the 45 day window from the renewal date not the credit card billing date.

For Example:
    Your renewal date is 7/1/10
    Credit Card billed 8/6/10
    You only have 45 days since the 7/1/10 date, i.e. 8/15/10, to cancel NOT 45 days since the credit card billing date. Once you notice the charge on your credit card, you are way too late to cancel.

THIS IS UNETHICAL. Spot figured out that if they delay the billing to the next month instead of billing you at the same time as your renewal date (which all other auto renewal services do in order to get their money ASAP), you will not enough time within their 45 day window to get your credit card statement and call to cancel.

AND when you call to cancel, they will not refund the amount if you are outside the 45 day window, but they will allow you to deactivate immediately in which case you pay the $160 but you can't use the service, AND you can't tell them to schedule the deactivation for a year later. So you have to remember next year at the exact right date when to call and deactivate, OR ELSE you will be caught off guard again with the auto-renew. THIS IS A RIP OFF SCAM!

ALSO, Customer service won't help you at all! If you decide to contest the charge with your credit card company, Spot's customer service will promptly tell you that they will forward you to their collections department. They got all angles covered to RIP YOU OFF!

ONE LAST THING: I asked why they don't send out an email letting you know about your auto-renewal (They already send you lots of other emails). WELL, they do send out emails in states that require it by law, but in states that don't require it forget it.

THESE GUYS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO SCAM PEOPLE OUT OF MONEY EVERY YEAR ON A PRODUCT THAT DOES NOT WORK THAT WELL TO BEGIN WITH! BUT YOU WILL FIND THIS OUT TOO LATE, AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE ALREADY BEEN BILLED AGAIN! I WON'T EVER DO BUSINESS AGAIN WITH SUCH AN UNETHICAL GROUP.
    There are quite a few bad reviews, mostly due to their customer service. I quoted that particular one because I find that type of business practice most egregious.

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    We were required to use the spot tracking in the Baja 1000 a couple weeks ago. Not Happy at all. There Tracking website during the race did not work.

Thread Information