Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TDC

+1

TDC

HI guys just wanna know how to find crankshaft markings to ensure tdc position on a 09 FZR. I got the heads off to fix a bent valve and I accidently moved the crankshaft as I was removing the bolt to change to a 2013 clutch

Ahh, its easy peazy. There are pip marks on the cam shaft, two of them. One on the #2 cyl intake side and the number 3 ehaust side. There are also marks on the cam shaft caps, they need to line up. If memory serves me correct the marks on the caps look like lines and the marks on the cam shaft were just dots. You will want to remove the spark plugs and rotate the crank shaft COUNTER CLOCKWISE to get them to line up perfectly.

If you have a dial indicator, use it. If not a small loooong screwdriver slid in the spark plug hole touching the top of the piston moving freely up and down will give you a very good idea what TDC is. l Im going to PM you the service manual for that year and model ski as well, that will give you all the specs youll need for your teardown.

Btw, why are you pulling your head? Rebuild, hydrlocked, did ya blow something up? Haha, good luck. And let us know how it goes

+1
    Use a dial indicator mounted on the block with the dial indicator point on top of the #1 cylinder piston move crankshaft back and foward till the indicator reads its highest point this is TDC on your engine, Tommy Jordan

+1
    So there are no markings on the crankshaft to line up?

No marks on the crank, line up the cams and mark them and the chain before removal (if possible...might be to late). I had to make an extension for my dial indicator to reach the piston. A degree wheel is the best tool if you have one.

Its a treat getting the chain on the cams. One side of the chain has to be tight when you put it on. I believe it is the side with the straighter chain guide.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flipsfzr View Post
    HI guys just wanna know how to find crankshaft markings to ensure tdc position on a 09 FZR. I got the heads off to fix a bent valve and I accidently moved the crankshaft as I was removing the bolt to change to a 2013 clutch
    I use this tool
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1906

+1
    how did you bend a valve ???

+1
    Don't know out riding with a mate earlier in the year and ski suddenly stopped and wasn't even giving it stick at the time

+1
    odd, my SHO motor had all 8 exhaust valves frozen open and never even bent one, i've been told its a none interference motor, and the pistons will not hit the valves, seems unlikely but none of the pistons hit the valve when cranking it over

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    odd, my SHO motor had all 8 exhaust valves frozen open and never even bent one, i've been told its a none interference motor, and the pistons will not hit the valves, seems unlikely but none of the pistons hit the valve when cranking it over
    This is correct! The Yamaha 1800 engine is non interference. The valves will not hit the pistons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information