Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Jet Yacht Tender with Yamaha four stroke project

Hello, I am new to the forum but thought some of you might like to see a project that we have been working on over the past few months. I spent several months following a few threads on GH and there are loads of great information that have really helped me out.

I have always been in the yacht tender business however we made the move to develop a small jet yacht tender utilizing the vx 110 Yamaha engine. Let me know what you guys think. We have put them into production now and they seem to have great feedback. We stayed away from the traditional tube tender and went with a closed cell ballistic nylon foam collar. Gave us a little more interior room. Let me know what you think. I will post more as we put more boats to market and continue with your testing.

Right now she runs around 50mph with two people in the boat. We love the Yamaha engine and its really easy to work with. Riva has helped us out with parts and engine availability and some of our R&D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	318970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	318971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cropped.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	318972  

+1
    A couple of videos of the demo boats running during some testing.

This was before we made some ride plate adjustments to keep the bow from porpoising.

Once the ride plate was adjusted she handled great. Top out around 50mph.

+1
    Wow those are sweet!!!

If I only had a yacht to put it on....

Can't beat that yami motor..

Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!
    Last edited by wotxxxsd; 11-25-2013 at 11:52 AM.

+1
    thanks, I will post some videos later today if I can. We have a few testing videos as we adjusted the ride plates.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much of the jet pump hardware is exposed at the rear?

Since tenders tend to get real close to big expensive boats, I imagine avoiding inadvertent dings and scratches is important to your customers.

How well does it handle when reversing?

+1
    The jet pump itself is actually all contained within the length of the boat. Nothing sticks out based on the your reasoning. We do however have a large opening (wings) in the transom to accommodate the reverse thrust that the pump makes. The reverse takes some getting used to and like a little bit of throttle however once you get it she does handle nice. The flat transom does make it harder to correct mistakes in reverse without a little bit of throttle.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryzek View Post
    The jet pump itself is actually all contained within the length of the boat. Nothing sticks out based on the your reasoning. We do however have a large opening (wings) in the transom to accommodate the reverse thrust that the pump makes. The reverse takes some getting used to and like a little bit of throttle however once you get it she does handle nice. The flat transom does make it harder to correct mistakes in reverse without a little bit of throttle.
    Post up some photos of the back end and how the jet pump is tucked in.

I suspect the traditional boat style steering wheel and shifter also makes it harder to control with grace.

Too bad your target market is so traditional. Handlebars with reverse lever on the left or ala Sea Doo's IBR fingertip lever would be sweet for responsive maneuvering in tight quarters. Perhaps as an upgrade option

+1
    Congratulations on the idea and the product. I'm sure there is a potential market, as all the big actual players are dealing with their own technical problems. I like the central console , but without the Williams one-manned position. The tubes themselves are a space-killer on that little boats. I think some sort of integrated bumper would be needed on the bow - maybe also to sell it as a "micro-tug"?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 031jetski View Post
    Congratulations on the idea and the product. I'm sure there is a potential market, as all the big actual players are dealing with their own technical problems. I like the central console , but without the Williams one-manned position. The tubes themselves are a space-killer on that little boats. I think some sort of integrated bumper would be needed on the bow - maybe also to sell it as a "micro-tug"?
    thanks, I was a Williams dealer for several years recently. The weber engine is so hard to service and work on. We were never able to get boats on time and the distributor for the U.S. had no idea what he was doing. Now with all the engine problems from weber (ie. the sea ray jet boat problems and now cancellations) the marine market for them is shot in the U.S. We figured it would be a great time to give it a shot. We are actually building one for a customer in Mexico right now that has a fully wrap around collar system. Its a 3 piece and its removable. Similar to how bolsters are mounted on a fishing boat. should be a cool project when she is done.

We do have another 10' tubed jet tender in the works for sometime in Feb. (prob) Miami boat show. Some people like that style a bit more and they are not under the same stipulations for safe loading since its RIB boat so they are much easier for us to manufacture. The boat is based on the 10 Nautica xp hull system but will have some big changes on the topsides and pump system area to accommodate the easier to service Yamaha. We have lots of boats out there with customers and have yet to get one back yet for any warranty work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information