Polaris 750 SLT in New Zealand

Hey man Im in New Zealand and Ive just bought a second hand well used polaris 750 SLT

Idles around 1700 or so

I took it out to the lake on the weekend, seems to run pretty sweet. The display showed the revs to get around 6400 and fastest i could get it was 31.5mph and it would cruise at this speed constantly by the end of the day, once it was at this speed i could lower the rpms to around 5900 and the speed would still be maintained

at the start of the day it was taking two people at around 25mph. Tried taking a passenger in the arvo but at take off it was just bogging down as if it was running on 2/3 cylinders. - however it still took one person fine around 32mph.

It ran sweet in the morning, and then died around midday - rev it to take off it splutterd a bit and then died. tried starting it for ages, wouldnt start. left it for an hour or so then started it up and it ran mint for the rest of the day

How much are these things supposed to vibrate ?

Previous owners mechanic told me it hasn't been rebuilt aprt from the first piston that got cooked, the carbs are rusty

it cost me $1500NZD for the ski and trailer, so I got it for a good price. kinda deciding if its worth fixing or not

What would I be looking at repairing on it ? Jet unit, impeller replace, carb + reeds replace, drive shaft if its bent ?

or should I just sell it for $3000NZD and try to buy a rebuilt one for $5000NZD

it also has a cracked jet steering nozzle (repairing today)- I figure this is what caused the uneven steering, but would it affect the top speed / acceleration ?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

See my signature links for what to do and what to check.

The key point to be made is that it is very important to do the maintenance and service work up front. Do NOT wait until something goes bad as it can easily cost a lot more to repair later.

The primary issue is that a degraded fuel system can and will cause internal engine damage. Lean fuel delivery can cause holes to be melted right through the pistons, sometimes in very few minutes.

It is a common story for a gummed up carburetor to cause a piston to fail. The piston gets replaced but the carburetors do not get rebuilt. Of course, the new piston will suffer the same damage and failure again, since the cause was not corrected.

It would seem that the fuel system and carburetors on your machine have not been serviced in recent memory, so start with that. Read up on how to do carburetor rebuilds and use genuine OEM Mikuni carb parts.

When these machines are running properly the engine should start reliably, hot or cold. Choke needed only for cold starting. Engine power should be consistent all the time once it has warmed up. Warm up is mere minutes.

Since this machine is new to you, do not assume anything is in good condition or does not require inspection, if not rebuild. The jet pump bearings and seals, for example, are not expensive nor difficult to replace. However, if the original bearings fail while you are riding the impeller can be badly damaged in seconds.

+1
    Check the compression, if its good and even then complete the carb rebuilds and fuel system upgrades. It will stand a good chance of running well for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by FaustG-9 View Post
    Hey man Im in New Zealand and Ive just bought a second hand well used polaris 750 SLT

Idles around 1700 or so

I took it out to the lake on the weekend, seems to run pretty sweet. The display showed the revs to get around 6400 and fastest i could get it was 31.5mph and it would cruise at this speed constantly by the end of the day, once it was at this speed i could lower the rpms to around 5900 and the speed would still be maintained

at the start of the day it was taking two people at around 25mph. Tried taking a passenger in the arvo but at take off it was just bogging down as if it was running on 2/3 cylinders. - however it still took one person fine around 32mph.

It ran sweet in the morning, and then died around midday - rev it to take off it splutterd a bit and then died. tried starting it for ages, wouldnt start. left it for an hour or so then started it up and it ran mint for the rest of the day

How much are these things supposed to vibrate ?

Previous owners mechanic told me it hasn't been rebuilt aprt from the first piston that got cooked, the carbs are rusty
    That revving then sputtering then dying with no start for awhile sounds like what happened to my ski, especially since the ski started up again with time and ran fine. My old 650 SL I bought had rusted-out exhaust and head manifold gaskets which caused water to leak into the cylinder. It only ran for about 15mins until it started sputtering then not starting up again.

Check the gaskets between the exhaust pipe/head manifold and the head manifold/cylinders.

Also, since it started up later then ran fine, maybe its an issue with your electronics? I know with my car, it had an issue with its electronics that caused it to not start after running too long. The electronics got too hot and prevented ignition. Maybe your ski is experiencing something similar?

Oh, and my ski vibrates at low rpm. I put a spacer on throttle so it wouldn't vibrate a much. If your ski is vibrating ALL the time, then its an issue. Ive heard the rubber spacer on the drive shaft gets loose from wear.

And as for the 2/3 cylinders feeling, the best way to figure that out would be to start and run the engine on one cylinder at a time. You do this by taking out the spark plugs of 2 of the 3 cylinders. Ground the plugs by placing them on the metal block of the engine (away from the spark plug holes in the cylinder), then test each cylinder individually by trying to start the ski. If one of the cylinders are bad, then the engine will not start. Also, watch the plugs of the other cylinders to check for proper spark. Make sure you have a strong battery or a charger as it will slowly drain it if there is a bad cylinder.

Thread Information