Charging a weak Jet Ski Battery

So, I tried to start my ski a few days ago, and it was real weak. Couldnt start. I believe I have worn it out with my engine testing.
    I connected my car battery via a jump cable, and it gave lots of power to the battery and the ski started easily.

My question is can I use a car battery charger to charge the depleted PWC battery? My charger has a low "slow" setting of 2 amp charging and several "battery type" selections for like regular batteries, deep cycle, etc.

Is that low enough an amperage to not damage the battery? What battery type setting should I use?

+1
    Never Jump start a ski, 2 amp or less on charging rate.

Banned User
    +1
    Dont jump start from a RUNNING vehicle. Just hooking up a spare battery shouldnt hurt anything. I would go buy a float charger. The one I use charges at 1.5 amps and switches to a float mode when fully charged.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TyCast View Post
    So, I tried to start my ski a few days ago, and it was real weak. Couldnt start. I believe I have worn it out with my engine testing.
    I connected my car battery via a jump cable, and it gave lots of power to the battery and the ski started easily.

My question is can I use a car battery charger to charge the depleted PWC battery? My charger has a low "slow" setting of 2 amp charging and several "battery type" selections for like regular batteries, deep cycle, etc.

Is that low enough an amperage to not damage the battery? What battery type setting should I use?
    Ty,

There is lots of good info already posted regarding batteries and charging. Search for battery maintainer or AGM compatible or BatteryMinder

2 Amps is a fairly quick charge rate for these small watercraft batteries. The key is that the charger should be a smart type that detects when the battery is fully charged and switches to a float or maintenance mode when the battery reaches near full charge. Some car sized chargers may not properly detect this when charging a small battery.

There is a real risk of damaging the electronics in the watercraft when boosting it from a vehicle. It happens.

The best method is to use a small charger that is modern and reliable with these batteries. Choose a charger that is AGM compatible and you will then be able to upgrade your battery to a sealed AGM type when the time comes to buy a new battery.

+1
    I've seen many skis fry electronics when jump started from a car.
    Don't Dooo it....

Yeah, i didnt run my car while the battery was hooked up, just connected it to my car battery. Could that damage the electronics just by hooking it up?

I do have a small 12volt float charger, i think it charges at one amp. I have to find it, its somewhere lost in my stuff. That will work, but im afraid it will take too long to charge. But if 2amps is too much, it looks like the 1am float charger is the way to go.

And I will look up AGM battery types too for future knowledge.

Thanks guys.

+1
    If you have a Fuji (blue motor) I too have sinned with the jump start and all was well. I even hooked the battery up backwards (reversed polarity) and noticed my MFD was not working before I tried to start it. I corrected the polarity and NEVER had an ignition issue with a Fuji. I have used a 2 amp charge but it will reduce amperage and shut itself off when fully charged. My hunch is you did not damage your ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TyCast View Post
    Y...

I do have a small 12 volt float charger, i think it charges at one amp. I have to find it, its somewhere lost in my stuff. That will work, but i'm afraid it will take too long to charge. But if 2amps is too much, it looks like the 1am float charger is the way to go.

A 1 Amp charger would bring one of these watercraft batteries from near zero charge to near full charge in about 24 hours, if not sooner. Is that too slow?

Thread Information