Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris genesis 1200 jet pump BOOM!!! BOOM!!!

hay guys waz out on the ski today and was riding aroud and was getting up on plane was doing 15 mph and all of asuden the pump cavitated ,,,now I was on flat water....anyway it idled down and the motor ran fine but I could hear the pump (it had a metal on metal griding sound immediately I shut it down got to shore and pulled the transom on the beach and put a camera at the strern and started it and looked and the impeller only spone once
    and got pulled home,,,,, plulled the pump off looked at the splines the shaft at the impeller side looks good the impeller looks ok so does anyone know how to pull the shaft out ......kind of a stupid question cuz I pulled the hole ski apart over the summer .....lol but cant get the shaft off ,,,,,,,,,,,, plz help
    got a ride scheduled for sunday

you pulling the shaft out of the motor or impeller ?

+1
    if it is indeed the shaft. if it stoped spinnin..im guessing the stator needs rebuilt

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    if it is indeed the shaft. if it stoped spinnin..im guessing the stator needs rebuilt
    First let's get the drive shaft out and inspect the engine coupler.

And inspect the impeller bearings too, of course.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by river123 View Post
    ... how to pull the shaft out ...
    Drive shaft just pulls straight out the back. It sometimes gets stuck in the engine coupler or the through-hull bearing but it should still come out with a few grunts.

Don't fall down when it lets go

+1
    Sit down and wiggle it out. It may take a bunch of times because the driveshaft oring and bumper (whichever it is!)
    makes a suction as you pull. You have to break the suction...then it wil come out fast.lol not fast but will "let go" . Not really good to rip it out of there fast. You could break or rip the carrier seals. Pull just enough to release it. Then guide it the rest of the way out. Splines on shaft should be flat looking not sharp.

thanks everyone hope you all have a nice thanksgiving ...........k447 I think knows what I am talking about it moves in and out about an inch but when I pull it more it wont buge ''I looked at where the shaft is in the hull to see how far back it is and it is still in the engine cupler but......last night I put a rachet strap onto a pair of visegrips and put thoues on the shaft end and racheted it tight to a cleat on the dock

+1
    thanks everyone hope you all have a nice thanksgiving ...........k447 I think knows what I am talking about it moves in and out about an inch but when I pull it more it wont buge ''I looked at where the shaft is in the hull to see how far back it is and it is still in the engine cupler but...

...last night I put a rachet strap onto a pair of visegrips and put thoues on the shaft end and racheted it tight to a cleat on the dock
    Dock?

Were you able to extract the drive shaft?

Another method is to purchase a metal two piece collar that fits around the drive shaft just behind the coupler. Then lever the shaft out in increments.

I got the drive shaft out man was it hard but I am missing 2 rubber bumpers on the moter and the impeller side
    anyone know if I need thoues at all
    thanks in advance

+1
    I got the drive shaft out man was it hard but I am missing 2 rubber bumpers on the moter and the impeller side
    anyone know if I need thoues at all
    thanks in advance
    The Genesis has three rubber bumpers as I recall. Two are stacked on one end. Clean out the grease inside the impeller and drive shaft coupler and the bumpers may well be hiding in there

Do NOT stick your finger into the coupler or impeller. Metal splinters are painful.

Yes, the rubber end bumpers for the driveshaft are important. They keep the driveshaft centered and prevent it from walking back and forth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information