Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

New Owner - 2007 GP1300R

I am sure most of you are getting sick of the same questions. After reading many blogs, I found this website to be the most informative. I am the proud owner of a 2007 GP1300R. When I purchased the GP it had only 19 hours on it. Iíve had it out twice and it now has 25 hours.

My goal to keep the GP as reliable as possible. Prior to owning the GP, I owned an Ultra 150, and a Sea-Doo XP. After some issues with both of those skis, I purchased a Yamaha for the quality and reliability. For the record, I am not mechanically inclined so any work will likely be done by a dealer or my brother in law who is an auto mechanic. (Throttle Recall done by the dealer)

After browsing these forums, I found two areas of concern: the catalytic converter and having to reinforce the pump? I have a few questions I hope to get answered.

1. Currently, I am running yamalube since I still have the CAT. I plan on switching to Amsoil, does anyone know any good places to purchase Amsoil online?
    1. What is the longevity on the original CAT? I plan on getting a D-plate but right now money is tight. Iíve spent a lot of money on the GP recently and the warden (wife) is not happy about that. Also, are there any instructions on how to install the D-Plate?
    1. What causes the pump to fail that it needs to be replaced? Again, do I have to time or is something that needs to be done right away? Is there any place that sells the parts needed to do the reinforcement? I think I found some instructions here on this site.
    I really appreciate any feedback. I wish you all and your families a great Thanksgiving.

Ryan

1) amsoil best prices are just joining amsoil ($10 test 6 month membership) fair prices right to your door in 3 days or less.
    Last edited by Spimothy Leary; 11-27-2013 at 10:58 PM.

+1
    I'm going to install the d-plate this winter. really is a great mod, the cat is crap. the d-plate lets the engine run cooler and allows you to use other oils.

this might help you. its a gp1200r in the video but the concept is the same, just pull out the pipe and swap the cat for the plate.

some skis need the temp sensor chip so your exhaust warning does not go off constantly with the cat out but some never have a problem. i'd buy the chip just to make sure

+1
    Spimothy Leary,

I prefer Yamalube since my dealership will fill a gallon container for $24. I have heard so many different opinions about oil I don't what to think lol.

+1
    Thank you CJ. How many hours did you get on the CAT? I plan on doing the D-Plate after the first of the year. Did you reinforce your pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRDRacing View Post
    Spimothy Leary,

I prefer Yamalube since my dealership will fill a gallon container for $24. I have heard so many different opinions about oil I don't what to think lol.
    Yamaha has two Yamalube types "2M" and "2W" be sure when you are buying it by the gal.bulk that you are getting the "W" which is much better than the "M" Tommy Jordan

+1
    Thank you CJ. How many hours did you get on the CAT? I plan on doing the D-Plate after the first of the year. Did you reinforce your pump?

my ski is currently at about 130 hours and i can bet that my cat will come out in a couple pieces when i take it out. I should have done it sooner but your fine with 25 hours, thats practically brand new. maybe just do it to get it out of the way and not wait until it needs to be removed like i did.

I did not do the tunnel reinforcement, I've been thinking about doing it since my ski is getting older and up there in hours. some people say you only need it for when you mod the ski and put more stress on it - "Fiberglass reinforcement designed to glue in over the OEM pump tunnel to increase strength. This is a must have item for any highly modified watercraft."- greenhulk performance store, but some say why take the chance even if your ski is stock.

I've been fine without it for 130 hours but there are definitely people who were not as luck.

heres the link to the gpr section on Jerry's Greenhulk Forum store, all greenhulk members get a 10% discount on parts, the discount code is greenhulk http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...ex&cPath=16_22

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Spimothy Leary,

Then why did you ask about oil if you prefer yamasludge? So your not switching now! Lmfao

+1
    CJ,

Thank you for the link and info. I found some decent deals online so I am going to go ahead and take the cat out. As for the reinforcement, I will wait and do it after the New Year.

That Dude,

I asked about oil because I have heard so much conflicting information concerning what brand to use. So people love yamalube, some hate it. Some people praise amsoil others claim it destroyed their motor.

My preference toward yamalube was for mere conveience and I am no way saying it is better than Amsoil. Right now, Greater Yamaha has a barrel of 2W oil. You bring your own gallon jug and they fill it for you for $24 dollars. When that runs out, you are SOL. The price jumps to $35 dollars. I would like to switch to a full synthetic and I heard you can get some good deals through Amsoil. But I have heard some bad things about Amsoil too.

+1
    Hello TRDRacing, and welcome to the Hulk. I got my 08 GP 1300, last year with 27 hours on it. Over the winter I installed the D-Plate with chip .... found out later 07 & 08 do NOT need the chip! I have not installed the hull tunnel reinforcement and yes I have added a lot of mods. Top Load Intake grate, Stuff the pump shoe, R & D Ride Plate, Solas 14/20 prop, Jet Works Hole shot, Milled heads, & 4* keyway, Fuel controller. My ski now has much improved hole shot & a wicked eye watering mid-range, and tops out just @ 70 gps. I now have 47 hours on the ski. I spent over the course of the season about additional $1,400. to get where it is now ... and I learned a lot with the help of this site ... on the "how to", do everything yourself and gain a great deal of knowledge & satisfaction from knowing you did it. Search this site & be willing to read, read, read ... every build, blog, and success or failure, and you will always find someone who has done it . Good Luck

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information