Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Riva athena base map without the exact riva stage mods

I have the option to pick up an athena at a decent price and like the fact I can take it out and return the ski back to stock with no evidence if I need to.

I just wanted to see if anyone is running a stage 2 or 3 base map on the athena but may not have all of the corresponding mods to match up with that stage. For example i wouldn't be looking to use the exhaust or do the flame arrester removal ( only doing prop,intake,catch can,rrfpr)

also if any one has run an afr set up did the base maps record acceptable afr figures

I am not looking for a debate between vtech and athena as there is various opinions

Any help would be appreciated

+1
    no knock control....lol
    throw it in the garbage
    if was worth anything they would not be selling vi-pec

+1
    Wow, is that true? No knock control?

O_o

+1
    but its coming ..... someday....lol

+1
    Ahh I didn't know this I went straight off the riva flyer

"Individual Cylinder Knock Control function protects engine. System identifies which cylinder is detonating by tracking firing order utilizing OEM knock sensor."

is this not active yet?

+1
    koolaid.....they will gladly take your money today for knock control tomorow

+1
    Do a search here on the Athena, people have months and months of tuning and tinkering even with Rivas help and they still have poor performance, ck engine lights, oil pressure lights, ski won't idle, the list goes on.

I have a friend w the vi pec and he loves it. Riva has 25% off all Riva branded items tomorrow. Get the vi pec.

or the real deal MoteC.

+1
    Buy a ecu with knock control or else wow

+1
    So I have Motec, Athena, Vtech...(and a large hole in my bank account)...so here are my thoughts;

The Athena stage 1 map seemed fine to me. (no experience with stage 2) It didn't give me any real performance increase over stock that I noticed...no not really other than rev-limiter removal. My vtech-ed rxtx260 with no mods other than a tune would run even steven with my px260, gen3 ic, riva intake. Not really a surprise though. Now to be fair, I didn't spend anytime tuning the stage 1 map. Ran it as is. All their maps, or I would say any tuners maps are going to be conservative especially in regards to timing. I suffered through the idle issues on the first firmware version, the 2nd version cleared all that up for me. I'd occasionally get low oil warning if off the throttle real fast...but never did my ski feel like it was going to shut down. Not an issue for me.

Fast forward to full Riva Stage 4 kit install. Idle was fine, but from 7000-8200 was rich as a pig and killing my fuel economy. WOT was fine and AFR was fine, no problem their. I spent some time on the map and it got better but I jumped ship to the Motec. The motec's bas map was spot on for my application. Interestingly enough I ran the same top speed as with the Athena. Similar timing and fuel at WOT...similar results. No surprise. However the throttle response was so much better because of the better base map.

If your going to do the Athena other than just a stage one, like any after market computer you should get the logger/wide band. The dash/logger will show you up to 4 parameters at a time as well as log the last 45 minutes. The logging software is actually pretty decent. Combined with HD Mega Viewer you can really get a good feel for how your ski is running. The tuning software is pretty basic, but will get you their. If your willing to spend the time. The dual map switch feature is real nice to try different maps back to back, helps allot.

So the big question is, is knock control a deal killer...run good gas, don't push the limits and you will probably never have an issue in my humble opinion. Based on how lean the factory runs these engines...I just don't see it being a deal killer for a lightly mod-ed ski. Knock control is so mysterious anyways...everyone wants it, no one really knows how it works, when it works etc...unless you have a Motec .

I heard knock control was in 6 weeks about two months ago...Riva is very dependent Athena for upgrades. I suspect will happen at some point....who knows. If your planning on spending Vipec money...skip to the Motec...seriously. I was told since I already had the full Athena kit It wouldn't really be worth upgrading to the Vipec.

I also heard my Motec dash was going to be in 4 then 6 weeks...2 months later...maybe by Christmas...

Contact me for full Athena kit for sale...dash logger, mount, computer, wide band, dual map switch. I'll load up any base map you want

+1
    the only thing vi-pec does not have compared to motec is the support
    vi-pec relies on dealer support (not many), so does motec but their factory has better dealer support
    and webinars for school

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information