Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    1993 750sx Flooded engine HELP!

    I have a 1993 Kawasaki 750sx (oil injection). The morning I was leaving for college, I decided to take my ski out for a ride for the last time (early September). I did some turns that caused the nose to got under a few times, so it must of sucked in a lot of water there. I also don't ride with the bilge on because I thought it would burn the pump. Lesson learned, I'd rather buy a new pump than a ski. It was running great for 1.5 hours. Then all the sudden my ski lost power for a few seconds and died. I was probably 150 yds in the water (salt) and swam back. I got a friend to pull the ski on the dock since I couldn't do it. Right there I knew there was a sh*t load of water. Since I was now in a rush to get home, I was unable to get it to run asap. The water was up to the flame arrestor. I knew water was in the carb/engine. So I just pumped the water out, washed the whole inside of the engine compartment with fresh water. I put fogging oil in the cylinder and shot WD-40 on any metal surface I saw and hoped for minimal damage. My friend pulled out my ski at his house and came home this thanksgiving to try to get it running again. Thankfully when I opened it, it was dry and a few nuts were a little bit rusted

    So yesterday I tried charging the battery but it wouldn't charge. So I purchased a new one. Then I installed the new one in the engine. The terminals were rusted so I sanded them down to a shine. Then I replaced the spark plugs with new ones. I tried starting it and there is a strong click but nothing turning with the motor. Now that I know it's not the battery, I think it's the starter thats bad or the motor is hydrolocked. I only know a little bit about hydro-locking so idk. I want to try to get it to turn over at least before I take it to a shop. I hope I am not in a complete loss, but if I am thankfully I only purchased this ski for $600


  2. #2
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,012
    +1
    283
    Welcome aboard, Skyeric875!

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you got water inside the engine, it's toast. You've got about a day to get the water out in fresh water, less than that in salt water. Water will rust the crankshaft bearings very quickly. I suspect that may be what happened in your case. Remove the spark plugs and try to turn the crankshaft by hand. If the bearings are rusted, even just a little, and you're able to get it to turn, the engine will likely blow up in 10 hours or less.

    Let us know what you find.

  3. #3
    needs an engine I have the remains of a 780 engine that looks like it went und and sucked up water and sand internals looked terrible. if it doesn't turn can always try putting marvel mystery oil in the intake and sparkplug holes let it sit for a couple days ten take a wrench to the shaft couple and slowly wiggle the engine back and forth. if its fresh water may be salvageable

  4. #4
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,593
    +1
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyeric875 View Post
    ... I knew water was in the carb/engine. So I just pumped the water out, washed the whole inside of the engine compartment with fresh water. I put fogging oil in the cylinder ...
    Did you remove the spark plugs and crank the engine to pump the bulk of the salt water out?

    Did you actually start and run the engine after getting the water out?

    That is the critical moment. The engine must actually be run right away and allowed to warm up and internally dry itself out. Once you get it started and running, the best method is to go ride it, of course. But just running on land without water cooling will provide some chance for the engine to dry out. Brief bursts of throttle will blow air through the engine and help it dry inside. Running it on the garden hose allows for longer running time on land.

    If the engine was not thoroughly dried internally then the remaining moisture will attack the steel crankshaft bearings. Fogging oil and WD-40 are not able to counteract the effects of salt water sitting inside an engine, no matter how much you spray in there.

    Oh yes, welcome to Greenhulk

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Skyeric875!

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you got water inside the engine, it's toast. You've got about a day to get the water out in fresh water, less than that in salt water. Water will rust the crankshaft bearings very quickly. I suspect that may be what happened in your case. Remove the spark plugs and try to turn the crankshaft by hand. If the bearings are rusted, even just a little, and you're able to get it to turn, the engine will likely blow up in 10 hours or less.

    Let us know what you find.
    How do I crank the shaft by hand? And where? Not very good with motors.

  6. #6
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,012
    +1
    283
    Turn the drive coupling on the back of the engine. It connects the engine to the driveshaft. It has a black plastic cover over it, but you can reach around it or remove it to turn the crankshaft. If your driveshaft has a hole drilled through it, you can stick a rod through it and turn the shaft. Of course, remove the rod before cranking with the starter!

  7. #7

    1993 750sx Flooded engine HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyeric875 View Post
    The water was up to the flame arrestor. I knew water was in the carb/engine. So I just pumped the water out, washed the whole inside of the engine compartment with fresh water. I put fogging oil in the cylinder and shot WD-40 on any metal surface I saw and hoped for minimal damage. My friend pulled out my ski at his house and came home this thanksgiving to try to get it running again. Thankfully when I opened it, it was dry and a few nuts were a little bit rusted

    So yesterday I tried charging the battery but it wouldn't charge. So I purchased a new one. Then I installed the new one in the engine. The terminals were rusted so I sanded them down to a shine. Then I replaced the spark plugs with new ones. I tried starting it and there is a strong click but nothing turning with the motor. Now that I know it's not the battery, I think it's the starter thats bad or the motor is hydrolocked. I only know a little bit about hydro-locking so idk. I want to try to get it to turn over at least before I take it to a shop. I hope I am not in a complete loss, but if I am thankfully I only purchased this ski for $600
    If I am understanding this correctly, you did the right thing. You made sure no water was in the engine and then you fogged it well. If so, your motor is probably fine. If it is not turning over, there is a good chance that your bendix gear is rusted and frozen.

    Are you hearing the sound of the starter spinning and not engaging? Would be a 'whiring' noise.
    As stated above, Pulling the pump and rotating the coupling by hand will tell you if your motor is locked up.. but it sounds like you covered yourself - if I read/understood correctly.

    Worst case scenario you can buy a whole new motor off of CL inexpensively. Ive bought entire 750 sit downs on a trailer for $200... or rebuild yours top to bottom for about $600. The ski is worth $1500 so if you only paid $600 youve got a minimal risk on your hands.
    But I remember all too well the plight of being a college student..

    Where are you located?
    Last edited by caliburst; 12-02-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Flooded engine bay on 2015 fx svho...please help!!
    By Sam SHO in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
  2. Left Gas on - now have flooded Engine - Help
    By candshr in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 01:38 PM
  3. Water in engine help please
    By maddie50 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
  4. 66V engine help
    By mjet in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 02:10 PM
  5. How not to fix a flooded engine.
    By MikeTrin in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •