Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 zxi1100 fuel carb issues please help

Hi I'm new to jet skis and this forum and I would firstly like to say hello all

i have a 96 1100 zxi i haven't used it in water yet

I bought it and it's been stood a fair while I had it started it ran quite well but a little rough so I drained all the fuel put new fuel into it replaced plugs and cleaned air box

Now it's a right pain to start when it starts it won't tick over it is trying but keeps dying

if I do get it started I can rev it and hold it above 4000 rpm but if I back off below 4000 it dies again and squeezing the throttle will not raise revs just kills it

many thanks
    JimJim

+1
    Welcome aboard, JimJim!

If it's been stored a long time without proper treatment of the fuel (stabilizer), there's a really good chance of gum in the fuel system. Start by changing the fuel filter. If that doesn't do the trick, it's probably time to overhaul the carbs. You would be wise to pull the fuel pickups out of the tank and inspect them.

If it still has the oil injection system, you really need to inspect/replace the hoses. They get brittle with age and leak.

Finally, that particular model was unstable at high speed and would unexpectedly flip over on smooth water. Kawasaki issued a mandatory recall to install a plate on the front of the hull to prevent this. If yours does not have the plate (it's mounted on the front, below the tiedown eye, you need to get it done. A Kawi dealer should do it at no charge.

Thank you for your advice I'll look into the plate what does it look like

many thanks
    Jim

+1
    I don't have a picture of the plate, but it is riveted on the bottom front part of the hull, then the edges are caulked.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	319544

I don't think the recall does a thing to help stability at speed, it isn't even in the water once the boat comes up on plane. I bought one on Ebay for $20 but haven't installed it yet. Aftermarket sponsons will prevent the rear from unexpectedly coming around on you. I have topped mine out on good water many times with no hint of this dreaded 'death flip'. Just my 2 cents. Look at stubburnjdh's avitar and you will see what I mean. His has the recall done and is well above the water line.

I do agree with Steve about the fuel system. I would definitley clean out the carbs before you lean out and roast one of your cylinders.
    Last edited by DavidR; 12-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.

+1
    Mine never flipped over before the mod, but I met a guy that it did happen to. No warning whatsoever, just cruising along at full throttle on glassy water and the next thing he knew he was skipping like a stone and the 'Ski was right behind him.

I don't know how the plate works, but I suppose that if the bow starts to dig in it deflects it back upward or something.

Hi spoke with kawasaki uk and they say parts no longer available so I can't have it rectified

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi burton View Post
    Hi spoke with kawasaki uk and they say parts no longer available so I can't have it rectified
    Look on Ebay U.S. or contact Kawasaki USA.

Neither the plate or sponsons will help with the ejection problem. I still have back problems from it and that was from '96. The problem is the pump cannot process all the water going into it especially in glassy conditions. The only way to cure it is to install a '98 or later pump or drill the bottom of your inlet ramp into the pump. You must fill the voids with marine tex or jb weld first. (2) 3/8" to 1/2" holes are required to relieve the pressure. Kawie finally figured it out in '98. My dealer thought myself and the guys I rode with were nuts until it happened to him. Its a fairly easy mod with the pump out. My boat was heavily modified and you did not ride it in glass water unless you wanted to go flying. No problem ever again after modding the pump

+1
    Sorry to hear you got hurt on it--and that you're still having problems. That's not good.

That said, I thought the problem was related to the Air Induction Hull, which basically meant you were riding on bubbles instead of water.

Do you have any pics of your mod?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information