+1

1992 550sx - Decent ski to learn standup riding ?

I have a chance to pick up a 92 550 for $500. I want to try out standup riding so I figured I would start with a small investment. Any feedback on whether this 550 might be OK for a starter ? I am 195 lbs. if it matters.

Seller also states it has 130psi for comp test. Only mod is a high comperession head. Does this sound about right ?

+1
    $500 seems fair. I dont know much about the 550 engine but on a 650 engine with a high compression head 130 seems a little low. should be fine though. its too cold to test ride, but definitely start the ski and see it running.

It is not the most stable ski but once you get the hang of it its a lot of fun. my dad can comfortably ride my 650sx and he's 180 lbs. a set of sponsons will really help stability.

i'd go for it, like you said, cheap investment to open you up into the stand up world

1992 550sx - Decent ski to learn standup riding ?

Quote Originally Posted by kdaily View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a 92 550 for $500. I want to try out standup riding so I figured I would start with a small investment. Any feedback on whether this 550 might be OK for a starter ? I am 195 lbs. if it matters.

Seller also states it has 130psi for comp test. Only mod is a high comperession head. Does this sound about right ?
    Small, squirrelly, and underpowered. Not ideal as a beginners ski but do-able with some practice and if you can ride that you can ride anything.

A bigger and more powerful hull would be better to learn on. A 750SX or an SXR.. but obviously youre looking at a different price bracket.

The 550 is a decent hull.. and the 92 was a reed motor so it has a lot more snap to it than the older 550s. Overall, not a bad little ski... but it will take some practice to get used to. Its a 40 year old hull design so the handling is clunky compared to a newer ski.. but the 550 is better handling than the 650 IMO and a fun little hull once you get the hang of it. Putting a pipe on it will make a noticeable difference too..

You should be seeing numbers closer to 145-150 but I have found compression guages to be very unrelaible. If both are within 5psi of each other and it starts right up its prob fine.

You could print out the correct compression numbers off the internet, take them with you, and then show the seller your and tell him its low. Offer $300.

Winter, especially Right before and after Xmas, is 'take what you can get' season for selling pwcs in the northeast. use it to your advantage.
    Last edited by caliburst; 12-02-2013 at 03:19 PM.

I also stated with a 1992 550 original owner it was great for year then you be begging for more power. From my research 1991 1/2 1992 1993 all of the Reid motor and are more reliable than the other 550s mine hasnever let me down and never not started. Riding stand up as a blast and the only way to go. But like I said if you wanting more power, the 550 is fun because it slides around and on the water and does not track very well. If you end up Liking standup you will get bored with the 550 and eventually you will be buying a super jet round nose of course

That's a good price for a reed 550 even if it needs a top end...

The 550's are the best skis to learn on. If you can ride one proficiently you can ride anything. I've met people who start out on a sj or 750 then try to ride a 550 and they can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by afraz1er View Post
    The 550's are the best skis to learn on. If you can ride one proficiently you can ride anything. I've met people who start out on a sj or 750 then try to ride a 550 and they can't do it.
    130psi is too low but battery and starter condition could have affect. Make sure you open the throttle wide open too. On a good battery with an accurate comp gauge (Snap-on) I've measured 155psi on a 1991 550sx. General rule of thumb is ~150psi for 2-cyl and 110psi for 3-cyl.

Hi All! I was just given a ski. It is a 300sx hull with a piston port 550 engine. The engine runs good but in the water there is no power. any help on what to check first? I do not know the year of the motor or if the pump is the 550 or 300. any info on ether would be great. Thanks!

Thread Information