Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Question GP1300R questions!

I just acquired an 03 gp1300r, and am wanting to start modifying it... I was thinking about pump stuffer kit, d ring and chip, air filter, ride plate, intake grate, and prop.... is this a good start? I read something about converting to an 05 pump? is this mandatory?

I have a 98 gsxl that boasts 70+...and the Yamaha has to be faster... no questions asked.

does the aftermarket fuel injection computer help?
    I want the most bang for my buck, straight line speeds and hole shot, I don't need to turn fast.

and I don't want to spend an assload of money...

does anyone have used aftermarket parts I could purchase?

+1
    your not going to get 70+ for super cheap. what are your hours? its not necessary at all to go to the 05 pump. a pump tunnel reinforcement may be something to look into since the 03 had a weak hull.

d-plate is very strongly suggested, I'd get a riva one. some say it has a slightly larger opening. as for intake grate, the 1200 is a great one, the 800 will have more top end but only on glass flat water.

the EFI control unit is a necessity if you start doing internal engine mods like raising compression, it required the extra fuel. but your set up wont need it.

I have a list of things I want to do to my ski, the only thing that stops me from doing the whole list is the budget.
    My current plan for the spring is:

D-plate
    Solas concord 13/19 prop
    pump plug kit
    R&D air filter
    87mm nozzle
    stepped sponsons
    Cut riva tabs

and I currently have the newer style riva ride plate and 1200 intake grate.

look through the riva performance packages, they'll point you in the right direction. I like to buy good condition used parts, much cheaper

+1
    well, money isn't a huge problem, but id like to save as much as possible... I was thinking about a riva kit for about $1200... but after looking on ebay and what not, I think I could re-produce the riva kit for far cheaper...

also have heard that the "high flow" pipe actually hurts performance rather than improve.

anyone know of a good thread on how to beef up my pump tunnel? I don't wanna change it unless I have to.

800 grate sounds like what I want... the only time Im going for top speed is 5:30 am when the sun 1t comes up and its glass.... every other time of the day im jumping wake, being crazy... so I really like to have an "unstable" craft

my 1/2 carbon fiber seadoo spx is the perfect example of the kind of uncontrollability I like.... as long as I can keep the nose down on glass im good!

+1
    also...what would be the performance difference between a 14/20 and a 13/19... which would be better or top speed? and which would be better for holeshot?

my spx has a 14/21 and it has an amazing holeshot... but I lost about 5mph off of top end..

+1
    it really depends on your rpms. get a tach there like 50 buck. In general the 13/19 will be good for holeshot and the 14/20 is a top speed prop but only if you engine can turn it.

14/20 might be to much for a close to stock engine and if it is, it might lower your rpms.

keep the stock rear exhaust no free flow. you need back pressure to make power, it'll probably lower your rpms. just makes the ski louder.

if you plan on riding in the surf i'd get the 1200 grate. i like speed runs also but its much better all around with the 1200. you could also buy a cheap used 800 and put it on for speed runs. a grate takes about 30 seconds to change lol

+1
    Awesome! thank you for your wisdom... im gonna start ordering some stuff, and I will keep you posted...

what kind of tach are we talking? can I just go to oriellies and get one that's universal for a car motor and use it for shop testing? or do I need something I can use under a load on the water?

also, on a side note, I have another potential project I would like to feel interest on.... I have a 97 Polaris 3 seater, or another gsxl hull, and a spare 12a wankle out of my rx-7 parts car.... Atkins rotary makes a bunch of marine components for the 12a platform... and I was thinking it would be very possible to make a 100mph ski with some guru power.... or at the very least... a really fun ride! smell what im steppin in?

+1
    I wouldnt buy a staged kit

All the info you need for speed and handling is here on the forum

Here are some threads to get you started

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51546

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16309

+1
    haha listen to every word WFO says, he is the gpr guru.

Guttered, went to take my GP1300r out for the first ride on the weekend and would start. Turned over no problem but would not kick into life. Changed the plugs and still no go. Seems i was not getting an spark from any of the plugs. Any ideas?

+1
    you could get an in line spark checker. or just take the plugs out put them back in the boots and lay them on top of the engine. turn the engine over a few times and look to see if the end of the plug sparks, might be hard to see in daylight so look carefully.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information