Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Exploding plastic gas cans

Don't miss this video!

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000223561

looks like some metal screening jammed into the nozzle of your gas can might save your life.

+1
    Before anyone else wastes their time watching this... there has to be an external source of fire to make the can explode... Pouring gas into a fire, or a hot engine is very STUPID... The cans DO NOT light themselves...

Also notice when you watch the video that the "can" that they "explode" in the lab has aluminum foil to cover up the huge cutout in the side of the can. They evidently couldn't get the dramatic result that they needed for TV, so they cut a large square hole in the side of the can and taped foil over it and made the "explosion" look more dramatic... This is a similar CNBC FARCE to the special that they made about the Remington 700 series rifles and their perceived safety issues.

Just my $.02...

+1
    having managed a gas station for a few years I believe the real enemy here isn't the obvious ignition source.

It's the hidden killer.

Static discharge. I've seen it.

One of the reasons it's law to place cans on the ground before filling and the little polite sign that warns you about no cellphones and not going back into your car while fueling. Fuel moving thru plastic creates static. Fumes ignite far more easily then fluid as attested to our old game of gas station chicken where we'd drop lit wooden matches into Dixie cups full of fuel.

If you've every been around fueling aircraft one of the first things that happens before the fuel hoses are hooked up is the static discharge strap is attached

I guess you didn't watch the entire video, which blames a nearly empty can and a low ambient temperature. Those are the typical villains that can create a static discharge.

I would assume the cans were scored under the foil to allow for a controlled blowout, less the fuel/air mixture comes shooting out of the nozzle at high rate of speed. I was pretty surprised to see the flame arrestor on the bottle of booze. I'll certainly stick some screening into my gas cans as a result.

Waste your time and judge for yourself.

am I the only one that thought 11 deaths, over 15 years, out of billions and billions of uses per year was a pretty low number ?

and that they have to have specific circumstances, AND a match to get the explosion ? really ???? if this was a serious problem, i'd like to see them go out into the real world where somebody isn't lighting a match underneath.. if somebody is lighting a match near the nozzle while i'm fueling, they are going to get kicked in the head. I think mythbusters tried for a week or more to get static electricity to light up fuel, not sure if they ever succeeded (not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it can only happen in just the right circumstances)

i've always had a healthy respect for fuel, and fuel containers, and would agree that the flame arrestor makes sense, not quite sure why they wouldn't just put one on new models and start from there, (not that i'd buy any new cans, they fking spill everywhere !!! I actually think the spill proof cans are a much bigger hazard than the old ones )

ps.. my VP cans both have flame arrestors in the nozzle...

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I think at the very least, its somthing to keep in mind the next time you use one.

Thanks for posting.......not a waste of time.

+1
    I don't get it - what's the big deal w/a little static discharge?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hindenburg_disaster.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	319495  

+1
    I hate the new type plastic cans with their new nozzles .... I always drill a small vent hole @ the back side of the top of the can, sense they do not come with one any more and are extremely difficult to pour out gas. I found that for travel home I just take a "bank type candy sucker" I get for free @ the bank, into the hole until I get home. Then just pull it out. The teller never ask me why so many suckers Ha Ha. Good Luck & stay safe

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    I hate the new type plastic cans with their new nozzles .... I always drill a small vent hole @ the back side of the top of the can, sense they do not come with one any more and are extremely difficult to pour out gas. I found that for travel home I just take a "bank type candy sucker" I get for free @ the bank, into the hole until I get home. Then just pull it out. The teller never ask me why so many suckers Ha Ha. Good Luck & stay safe
    http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

9. +1 by:

+1
    when the rules for new pouring nozzles went into effect it was one of the biggest clusters to hit the service industry since the refrigerant changes mandated by the epa, and the extreme gouging that goes on for the remaining supply of the "forbidden" refrigerant types.

do we need a survey to show how many of us have been able to dump 5 gallons in a tank without spilling a drop?

I prefer old school gas cans..seem to recall some had metal screening..which I though was to catch rusty crap that ended up at the bottom of the can. We can't have joe public spilling a pint of fuel on the ground every time he fills his mower, nor have a half full can venting in an enclosed space so enjoy our new and improved gas cans..something like the new and improved cigarette lighters.

In most metro areas gas pumps have a vapor recovery system When you fill an empty tank that volume of displaced air has a high concentration of gasoline vapor..specially in the warmer months..partly to reduce pollution, but it also doubles as a safety system..as we can't tolerate filling station fires where there is a high population density. In New Mexico, we don't use vapor recovery so when somebody is filling a 150 gallon tank on a boat, if the remaining fuel was skanky..you could smell it around the pumps. I hate the smell of old fuel..and all of it's associations.

Only the biggest filling station fires make the news and that typically involves a car vs. pump collision

Real problem is that gas is nasty stuff..really nasty. absorbed thru the skin and all that don't handle used motor oil stuff.

I might suspect that the entire gas can fiasco is to discourage their use, but I'm a bit occupied watching that black helicopter on the horizon..make that two black helicopters.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    http://ezpourspout.com/wp/
    gf

I have these on all of my cans. Works like a dream.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information