Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2009 Seadoo Winterization/Maintenance Questions

Hi,

I recently purchased two Seadoos a 2009 GTX 155 and a 2009 Wake 155 both with approx 15 hours. I want to make sure that the skis while stored outside this winter in Northern Georgia do not have issues with freezing. I watched a link provided by the Steve Jenkins for winterization http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/08...nnual-service/, which was helpful but did not show the best procedure to ensure that the external cooling system was winterized. The video shows antifreeze being pumped into the rear of the ski and then purging any additional liquid by revving up the engine. I do not have the tools available to a professional shop.
    Will a simple sump pump work to flush the system with antifreeze? Is it necessary to have the ski running while performing this procedure or can I just operate the sump pump and turn it off after antifreeze is running out of the exhaust?
    other questions:
    Are the oil change kits the best value for $69 or are there sites that offer these items at a lower cost? If so please provide links or site names.
    Is it Ok to use typical 10w40 motor oil from an automotive store or is it wise to stay with the BPR recommended oil for my non supercharged model?
    Does anyone have cross referenced aftermarket parts that meet or exceed OEM parts standards?
    What is the easiest method of manufacturing the hose adapter needed to flush the ski other than OEM?
    What size Torx head socket for the 2009 Seadoo oil filter retaining bolt?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by griz1; 12-05-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: change title

+1
    I use castrol 10-40 syntec on my NON supercharged 2013 GTX 155.
    I connected a 3-4 ft hose to my flush port with a funnel, hold up high & pour anti-freeze into it till it comes out below - do NOT pour in anti-freeze without engine running. When it comes out, stop putting in anti-freeze then rev engine a bit and shut off. Fog engine per inst.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome aboard

if you use the search a bit you will find answers to all of your questions and then some

if storing outside you want to consider vermin protection as important as engine protection

Having your seat turned into a winter home for mice/rats is almost as bad as finding your battery you forgot to pull froze, burst and filled the hull with acid on the first warm day of the year.

+1
    Search function has a lot of answers for you.

It just sucks to have to winterize any pwc..
    That's another great thing about Florida... We rip 365 if we want to..

Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Search function has a lot of answers for you.

It just sucks to have to winterize any pwc..
    That's another great thing about Florida... We rip 365 if we want to..

Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Thanks for the tip on using the syntec as an oil substitute and using a funnel to pour in antifreeze, pulling the battery and vermin infestation. I have read about using the Amsol oil substitute. I have also read about putting steel wool into all air ports so animals do not set up camp over the winter months. I assume when you say search function you mean the www. These are tips I can definitely use.

Do you use the blend or full synthetic 10w 40?

Thanks for the tip!

+1
    full synthetic - non supercharged engines only

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it's simpler to use the search engine here even when Google has the ability to target a search at a specific web address.

I don't bother plugging the exhaust ports against vermin. Footwells and around trailer tires are good places to set traps.

A little talcum powder around helps you spot activity you need to be proactive before they decide your seat looks tasty.

If you have activity, you have to move the ski out for a couple of days as ANY indoor space is very very attractive to these critters during the winter.

I've found them inside trailer rails towables, you name it.

and for pete's sake, clear out those old candy bars and stuff from your forward hold.

+1
    On the hulk site there is a search function.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information