Possible ECU problems 2003 GTX 4TEC

Have a guys ski in the shop and it has "SENSOR" on the display when you install the lanyard. Won't turn over or do anything when start/stop pressed and gauge quickly powers down. Connected the programmer and when I read the mpem it says there's an ECU problem and only displays history and faults tabs, nothing else (no key programming etc).

There's two faults listed...

P1680 MPEM COMMUNICATION PROBLEM
    P1681 COMMMUNICATION PROBLEM - INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MESSAGE MISSING

The cluster appears to be working ok for the short time it's on but not sure if it's 100% right.
    ECU pins look good on both connectors.
    Also while the lanyard is on I can hear a constant faint clicking in the engine compartment.
    When he brought this in battery was also totally dead and shot but not sure if that was caused by a problem in the electrical system.

I have a 2003 oem service manual but it's not much help. I have a complete Sea Doo shop with all the oem tools here but mainly work with 2 strokes so anyone have an idea where to start or what I should be checking?

+1
    I've had that faint clicking on a ski before and it was a bad dess post.
    Dess posts doo go bad fairly often on older doos..

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I've had that faint clicking on a ski before and it was a bad dess post.
    Dess posts doo go bad fairly often on older doos..
    Thanks for the tip! Turns out the clicking is the fuel pump constantly running when the lanyard is on.

After digging around in my parts found another ecm with lanyard same p/n so installed that one and no difference. Same exact readings when programmer connected. Then checked the fuses on the mpem and fuse #12 (5A) is bad. Put another in and it doesn't blow until you put the lanyard on. As soon as the lanyard is installed the fuse blows. That fuse is for the ecm and start/stop switch. I'm hoping the start/stop is the problem grounding out so planning on checking that next.

Also I don't get any beeps when lanyard is installed but that's probably due to the 5A blown fuse I would assume.

+1
    Sounds like the dess. When a dess craps out there are many weird things a ski can doo. I've had a dess when wet without a key crank the ski..

Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

Sounds like the dess. When a dess craps out there are many weird things a ski can doo. I've had a dess when wet without a key crank the ski..
    After messing with it more I believe the original ECM is bad blowing the 5A fuse. Now with my test ECM plugged in it starts up but the programmer is giving me an error when reading the mpem. Most functions are coming up though and was able to program a key. The strange thing now is the gauge quit reading. When you put on the lanyard all you get is "SEA-DOO". Starts up though. I think there's still some kind of communication issue going on since fault now is P0600.

Done for tonight gonna mess with it more tomorrow (if I don't get snowed in!)

Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!
    Thanks! Use the site often for reference but finally decided to register! I don't work on 4TECs often but if I learn anything that can help will be glad to contribute my $0.02!

+1
    Yes please post your findings so we can all learn...

I guess the customer is in no hurry to get it back with snow on the ground..

There is also some buds updates and a pig tail splice or wiring that's necessary for the very early doo 4 strokers..
    Hit the search and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Good luck in the fix..

Thread Information