Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

new racer help...

Hey, well the beast is getting a bit edgier everyday. I have added the ppk, r&d grate, this week will be jims plate, and a dynafly. I am in the northeast, and my goal is to get in the water early april. My question is a 2 part.

1. I am going to race in region 8 beginner/novice stock class. Can I add the jetworks mod to remain in stock class? or not? I doubt I will need it in beginner since it is an open classwith anything from old to new thrown together. I figure that id be better letting the pack take off and weave my way thru the mess after the start.

2. I am looking for aftermarket sponsons for a good hookup, any suggestions? I will be ordering my plate tomorrow from Jim so I am sure that will help with hookup, but I need to get agressive in my turns, any help would be appreciated.

I have never raced before, so if anyone has a pointer or tips, id like to hear it, even a local rider who can offer some help one day on the water...

thanks

+1
    What kind of racing?

Endurance
    closed course
    drag
    team

Racing in lakes or ocean?

In certain types of racing, the hole shot is not important. In others, it is everything.

In some races, an extra minute refueling may cost you a trophy. In others it may not be an issue.

Talk to us.

First, Im glad to see someone join the race. since we need more and more racer than ever.

1. I am going to race in region 8 beginner/novice stock class. Can I add the jetworks mod to remain in stock class? or not? I doubt I will need it in beginner since it is an open classwith anything from old to new thrown together. I figure that id be better letting the pack take off and weave my way thru the mess after the start.

Jetwork mod will put you in limited class, but like you say you still be able to run beginer with basically anything.

2. I am looking for aftermarket sponsons for a good hookup, any suggestions? I will be ordering my plate tomorrow from Jim so I am sure that will help with hookup, but I need to get agressive in my turns, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsons is A MUST for racing. you dont want to slide on the course, it will be very very dangerous for you and others. I personally use Riva sponsons and I love it, but other have used beach house and told me they love them.
    regarding the plate IMHO stock plate work best on race course. No disrespect to Jim, but all I heard is that Jim plate good if you want top speed.

My advise is practice, practice practice. get to know how your ski handle the rough water. and dont let off throtle when you making the turn.
    Where do you live ? Dont be affraid to ask people at the race for pointers they will help you out.

salty - Sorry, I am racing closed course in beginner/novice. It will be salt water, not lakes. My racing will be new jersey coastal, i am assuming it will be in the bays, although I am not 100% certain about that. I know that Wildwood Njs events are int he bay area, so I would assume a small amount of chop, i.e. 0-6" nothing major...

c4 - I have practiced tigth turns last fall when I started to get tthe itch for racing, and I tend to lay off just a touch before a turn then hit it again intot he turn for more agression.

All I have done to my ski is just a PPK kit and an intake grate, if you think that jims plate would be a bad idea right now, I will hold off and purchase some more practical things. I just thought that running jims plate would help me to hook up better overall, but if that isnt the case, I would stick withthe stock plate and purchase better sponsons. Also, I was going to order a dynafly form island this week so I can get it trued and balanced at the same time, any thoughts??

I would really like to find other competitive riders in my area who are willing to pass on their knowledge to me so I may not have to make so many mistakes, at first.

nice avatar. Reminds me of Woody and his signature song.

You can also visit http://www.racewatercraft.com for general information on getting started. And to get some free stickers.

Aaron

+1
    Hey dogger, I have a few tips for you.

1. For starters I would suggest setting some bouys up and practice. Taking a few sharp turns here and there is nothing like riding a course. Some turns are sweepers and some are close to 120 degrees after a long straight. Set up at least 8 to start with.

2. Setting up the boat is a big factor! I don't care if its a pond that never sees more then a 1" ripple on it! Its going to be 2' to 3' foamy chop resembling the eye of a hurricane once 10 to 15 boats make the first turn. Forget the speed plates etc. your going to need hookup and lots of it. 1200 grate, sponsons, long tabs, stock ride plate, 3/4 to full tank of gas.

3. The start. Usually CC races start with a rubber band with 2 of your holders keeping your boat on the line. Most of the time this is where the race is won or lost. Practice makes perfect on this one. Try to find some vids of the World Finals in Havasu to get a better idea.

4. The course. You must be able to remember the course in practice. Forget about seeing who your fastest competitor is. Unfortunatly the worst accidents I have seen were beginer class or novice. They tend to get lost on the course and either T-bone someone or get T-boned!

5. Your pretty black 06 GPR. <---- Hopefully it will be at least one of these adjectives on the way home. Something to think about.

6. Outcome. I raced expert class for many years. National Tour (when there was such a thing) and Havasu WF many times. It was a great experience with alot of wins and titles. BUT! I have had more fun in past several years riding bouys with my friends and family with no pressure and a whole lot less stress and finacial drain. The competition is extremely addictive and hard to stop!!!

I hope this helps some and remember this is just my opinion and my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Setting up the boat is a big factor! I don't care if its a pond that never sees more then a 1" ripple on it! Its going to be 2' to 3' foamy chop resembling the eye of a hurricane once 10 to 15 boats make the first turn. Forget the speed plates etc. your going to need hookup and lots of it. 1200 grate, sponsons, long tabs, stock ride plate, 3/4 to full tank of gas.
    I plan on picking up some buoys for practice, you say 8, is there a pattern I should use? My major concern is hook up. I have a 1200 grate, DF 14/20 prop, PPK, and I think you just answered my next concern of using a stock rideplate or a custom plate like jims. I am also looking at new sponsons, but without many racers in my area, I am not so sure what hooks up better, i.e. Riva, r&d, worx, etc...

My ski is very sexy right now, but I know it will get banged up a bit, kinda like driving a car, ya never know what the next rider is capable of. What are your suggestions? I have raced before, not PWC, but I have raced other sports, what is your opinion, balls out off the line,or wait for the first turn when everyone falls apart and zip around the mess? I really appreciate your input, and I value everyones opinion on something I know nothing about...

dogger

+1
    Dogger, if you are interested I have a CC pump shoe that came out of a GPR that I bought. I know NOTHING about CC racing so Duke might be able to give you an opinion about the CC shoes.

Most of the time following a group into the first turn will seriously impede your speed... the amount of spray coming off 3 or 4 PWC's in a tight corner will eliminate any vision and you risk nailing someone that may have fallen off or spun out or even missing the bouy.

When you do your bouy testing,, find friends to fall closely behind and get familiar with what the jet thrust feels like hitting your body, head, hands and ski.. Practice passing another rider that is almost the same speed as you and develop that skill so that you can use it while racing. Also learn to drive a slightly different line when exiting corners behind another rider to get "good" water to the impeller.

Like mentioned by others.. practice.. practice and then practice.. Run as long as motos as you can. Time them and set goals for longer runs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information