3rd aftermarket tach. Now why is this still happening?

I bought the Trail Tach listed in this link which I believe is fully supported for GP1200r application.

Unfortunately this tach does the same thing as the Northern Tool and HardLine tach does - which is read completely inconsistently. The numbers jump all over the place. WHen idling in my driveway at 3000rpm, the tack is reading randomly between 3800 and 6000. I installed it next to my factory gauges, ran the wire down the stering column, down the left side of the ski back tward the CDI and wrapped the wire ~4 times around the top spark wire #1 where it comes right out of the CDI. On the other tachs that did this I installed them in a couple different ways and always had the same affect. The guy at HardLine said his tach was no good for skis.

Is there no end to me finding a working tach for my GP1200R?

Wrap it around all three.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3684.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	319575  

Lake Of The Ozarks
    Hello ZeroClient, I got a used Pet 2000 Tach from a forum member .. I wrapped it around all 3 spark wires near the CDI box ... like Beerdart shows in the photos ... it works just like it is suppose to. I hear the Tiny Tachs work well also ... and do not cost much. Good Luck

I think your issue may be an aftermarket CDI unit (If your using one), I'm using an Advent CDI and I have the same issue. I believe the unit may have a multi spark function at lower rpm to give a better burn, then as the rpm gets higher you get less sparks per rpm and a more accurate reading. The indicated rpm always seems to be a multiple of what the reading should be.

I figured this out. Boy these little tachs are a bit sensitive. I set the sensitivity to something other than how it was delivered. Then I wrapped the wire only around one full wrap near the plug of #1. Tied a regular knot, then ziptied it all cleanly. The tach is now steady and stable. It's Looking accurate on the trailer.

Shreveport, LA
    On the end of the wire you should drop some loctite or silicone to keep rust and water out of the wire to keep it accurate

Thread Information