Thread: Polaris 1200 DI

+1

Polaris 1200 DI

Need some help identifying what ski is defined below - please:

Polaris Genesis 1200cc 3-Cylinder (2-Stroke) Direct Injection.

Need some more details about this thing - please, like what year, if a Service Manual is available on-line for it, if it's worth fixing, if it is "really" a 4-seater like the sticker states it is, if it should be "sunk" (possibly again)

So long story - need not get to the details - yet it was dropped off at a local shop stating it needed a battery or a starter - this was a loooong time ago. Customer did not leave any money for such said parts - so it seems that the customer does not give 2-shits about this thing, so now the shop owner wants to "move it" or "use it".

I offered my brief expertise about this thing - and looked at it, and I discovered it seems to not be seized-up, as the plugs were removed, oil inserted into the cylinders, and with a 12v DC Jumper Pack - the engine "rolled-over" - with some "seemingly" H2O coming out of the plug holes.

Hence, re-inserting the plugs, and removal of the old and insertion of some fresh fuel - it seems as if teh engine "wants" to fire - yet comes to an abrupt "hault" during each subsequent attempt.

MFD Gauge shows < 10 hours - yet this thing looks like it has 210 hours on it.

Steering cable also appears busted.

Any help identifying this thing, the year, the value, the common quirks, the assets, the known problems, the validity of the reading on the MFD, the availability of parts, the probability that this thing was sunk before (as everything looks to be NaCl + H2O corroded and I really find it HARD - TO - BELIEVE that this thing has < 10 hours on it - would be MUCH appreciated - Many Thanks !!!

Pic is shown below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20131207-00016.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	319583

+1
    I think it is safe to assume it is a 2002 Model Year?

https://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...&vehicle2=3804

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Should be no need to guess the model year. Last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck are the model year.

If the engine really does have salt water sitting in it then it must be rebuilt, replaced, or junked. The steel crank shaft bearings cannot have any rust or they will fail in minutes or seconds once the engine is running at full power. If it will run at all.

Sometimes the engine hour counter on the display can spontaneously reset itself to zero hours. It is also possible to purposely reset the hour counter to zero.

The hour counter number does not matter. What matters is the actual mechanical condition of the engine and the rest of the machine.

If it was sunk in salt water and not properly resuscitated right away, the engine will be internally rusted. The electrical connectors may or may not have corrosion inside.

A proper inspection and evaluation of the engine will tell you if it has rust inside. If the water that spews out of the spark plug holes was brownish with rust, then it is rusted inside.

Genesis i decal indicates this is fuel injected engine. So the EMM and fuel injector matched set may have some value.

What it is worth (potential selling price) is directly related to the actual condition of the engine, the condition of the rest of the machine, and whether it can be brought into running condition prior to sale. And of course the market price for this model in the local market.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Do you want to dig into the diagnosis process for this fuel injected Genesis?

Is this now your machine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck are the model year
    I looked and looked and looked for the HID Plate and either it was removed or it was in a place "other than the usual" places that I am accustomed to finding them.

If the engine really does have salt water sitting in it then it must be rebuilt, replaced, or junked
    Understood. I understand this - and I was not the one to see what was "ejected" from the spark plug holes during its first cranking attempt after it was dropped off at his shop.

The steel crank shaft bearings cannot have any rust or they will fail in minutes or seconds once the engine is running at full power
    My first assumption after seeing this thing crank under battery-pack power was that it was certainly not seized-up yet after cranking for ~ 4 rotations in an attempt to "fire-up" it encountered substantially more resistance during it's rotation cycles, kinda like a busted connecting rod, or a hung-up piston ring on the cylinder wall - as I noticed the + 12v battery cable start to heat-up and smoke like it was drawing way more current than the circuit was designed to handle.

Sometimes the engine hour counter on the display can spontaneously reset itself to zero hours. It is also possible to purposely reset the hour counter to zero.
    Interesting - now I understand ever so much more due to this fact alone. Thanks.

What matters is the actual mechanical condition of the engine and the rest of the machine.
    IMO it's a POS that was either previously sunk and certainly has been severely abused.

Lastly, I certainly have no desire to own that thing, just trying to gather more information on it for a friend - and you have certainly done an efficient job at providing exactly that for me.

Many Thanks !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post

I looked and looked and looked for the HIN Plate and either it was removed or it was in a place "other than the usual" places that I am accustomed to finding them.

Understood. I understand this - and I was not the one to see what was "ejected" from the spark plug holes during its first cranking attempt after it was dropped off at his shop.

My first assumption after seeing this thing crank under battery-pack power was that it was certainly not seized-up yet after cranking for ~ 4 rotations in an attempt to "fire-up" it encountered substantially more resistance during it's rotation cycles, kinda like a busted connecting rod, or a hung-up piston ring on the cylinder wall - as I noticed the + 12v battery cable start to heat-up and smoke like it was drawing way more current than the circuit was designed to handle.

Interesting - now I understand ever so much more due to this fact alone. Thanks.

What matters is the actual mechanical condition of the engine and the rest of the machine.
    IMO it's a POS that was either previously sunk and certainly has been severely abused.

Lastly, I certainly have no desire to own that thing, just trying to gather more information on it for a friend - and you have certainly done an efficient job at providing exactly that for me.

Many Thanks !!!
    Starter motor itself could be shorted and drawing too much power, or as you suspect the engine is seizing and does nit want to turn. Sometimes what happens is the jet pump seizes and does not allow the drive shaft to turn. Since these are directly connected then engine cannot crank properly. The 'easy' test is to remove the jet pump and drive shaft, then see if the motor will now turn more easily.

On the Virage and Genesis the HIN plate from the factory is located on the flat rear deck directly below the seat, centered. There may be a portion of the traction mat that is trimmed around where the HIN plate is riveted to the hull.

If the HIN plate is missing that is highly suspicious. There is a second HIN plate glued inside the hull. Look under the front storage bucket and around the engine compartment. If both HIN plates are missing then it is likely this machine was stolen.

Thread Information