1 Last Cam Timing question and I'll shut up! promise!

I believe I may be over thinking this timing thing on my VX butIit is so dang new to me that I just dont want my first 4 Stroke to be a fail.

The Intake and exhaust camshaft covers both have arrows onthem and the camshafts hemselves each have a punch mark on them.

Is this all I need to do is to make damn sure I am at Top Dead Center on my #1 cylinder...flywheel end as per the shop manual and then place my cams so that the punch marks line up with the arrows on the cam covers...then check to make sure that the #1 cylinder cam lobes are both facing outward and slap the chain on and tighten the end screw to spec?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gigem View Post
    I believe I may be over thinking this timing thing on my VX butIit is so dang new to me that I just dont want my first 4 Stroke to be a fail.

The Intake and exhaust camshaft covers both have arrows onthem and the camshafts hemselves each have a punch mark on them.

Is this all I need to do is to make damn sure I am at Top Dead Center on my #1 cylinder...flywheel end as per the shop manual and then place my cams so that the punch marks line up with the arrows on the cam covers...then check to make sure that the #1 cylinder cam lobes are both facing outward and slap the chain on and tighten the end screw to spec?
    Under the arrows on one of the cam covers is a marked line, line up the punch marks with that

Thank you flips and KWTony for the forum, phone and tech help on this. Now that I see exactly what you guys are pointing me to I almost feel silly asking. I cant believe something like timing can be made dummy proof but yamaha did it. Clymer didn't exactly do a bang up job on elabora5ing...thats for sure.

Thread Information