+1

2007 Yamaha Gp1300R Not Starting

Was out yesterday on the river and everything was running perfectly until the ski lost engine power and then completely turned off. The battery is only 1 year old and looks fine as it powers the dash easily. When trying to start the ski I can hear the fuel pump humming and a relay clicking in the fuse box. I thought it might be the starter solenoid but this wouldnt cause the ski to shut down. Dosent look like its sucked up anything at all. If I keep hitting the start button I might get a quater turn from the starter before it shuts down. As I mentioned the dash lights ip perfectly so im almost 100% sure its not the battery. Have been advised by my mechanic that the Positive wire is getting very hot and if he wiggles it there are signs of the engine trying to crank??????????
    Last edited by TonyGee; 12-08-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroClient View Post
    Can you turn the engine over by hand?
    Not sure I havent tried. Do you think the engine is seized?

If the positive wire is getting very hot then something may be binding or seized up; or even a wire could be crossed/shorted. If the wires are wiggled and the engine tries to spin then MAYBE you have a bad starter/wiring.

I can turn my engine over by hand without much effort at all. If you cannot do this then something is mechanically wrong. I'd suggest pulling the head once confirmed you cannot turn it over easy. Post pictures.

+1
    Do not try starting it anymore until you rule out a seized engine. a lot of people keep hoping the engine will magically free up and it will turn over as normal and everything will be fine. but from experience it sounds like you seized the engine and pulling the spark plugs and inspecting the plugs and pistons with a light and trying to push the pistons down with a small rod will help you find out if the engine is seized up. trying to start a seized engine will only fry your starter and solenoid and that will just add to the repair bill.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyGee View Post
    Was out yesterday on the river and everything was running perfectly until the ski lost engine power and then completely turned off. The battery is only 1 year old and looks fine as it powers the dash easily. When trying to start the ski I can hear the fuel pump humming and a relay clicking in the fuse box. I thought it might be the starter solenoid but this wouldnt cause the ski to shut down. Dosent look like its sucked up anything at all. If I keep hitting the start button I might get a quater turn from the starter before it shuts down. As I mentioned the dash lights ip perfectly so im almost 100% sure its not the battery. Have been advised by my mechanic that the Positive wire is getting very hot and if he wiggles it there are signs of the engine trying to crank??????????
    You have it with your mechanic and all he can do is wiggle a wire and report to you? You need a new mechanic.

Given the circumstances you described for the advent of your problems and the shut down, I'd bet money you got a seize situation.

Thread Information