Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Why start another ladder thread when you have one going already?

To see if anyone uses it and how it works. I was specific in title this time

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by golferdude View Post
    I have not used this rope type step. It looks a lot more fiddly than a proper boarding step.

I can say that this rope step will flop around and provide zero side to side stability when trying to put weight on it. I think it will also tend to swing under the ride plate when weight is first applied, which will make it harder to get your body up and out of the water.

The genuine, properly designed boarding steps for PWC do work quite well, are easy to use and very stable when climbing back up. They are spring loaded so they tuck back up against the hull automatically. They are not that expensive, even new.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I have not used this rope type step. It looks a lot more fiddly than a proper boarding step.

I can say that this rope step will flop around and provide zero side to side stability when trying to put weight on it. I think it will also tend to swing under the ride plate when weight is first applied, which will make it harder to get your body up and out of the water.

The genuine, properly designed boarding steps for PWC do work quite well, are easy to use and very stable when climbing back up. They are spring loaded so they tuck back up against the hull automatically. They are not that expensive, even new.
    yes I agree the OEM ladder is ideal BUT not all riders are going to be able to easily get back on a ski with the OEM ladder.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

yes I agree the OEM ladder is ideal BUT not all riders are going to be able to easily get back on a ski with the OEM ladder.
    If the genuine boarding step is not enough, then I expect this rope step is almost certainly not enough.

If a passenger cannot reboard using a full size OEM style PWC reboarding step then there is a case to be made that PWC riding is not for them. Not being able to reboard in deep water is a genuine safety concern.

If the person does not have the muscle strength or other limitations to get themselves out of the water even using a proper boarding step then that is a major safety issue.

I am unaware of any PWC reboarding steps that have more than a single step reaching down in the water.

When weight is applied to the step the rear of the hull settles down lower in the water. This makes the step lower and allows the body's buoyancy to help the person get their leg extended and rise up enough to put a knee on the rear deck of the watercraft. From there it is a matter of balance and modest strength to get back onto the seat.

Are you intending to carry passengers with severe physical limitations?

+1
    I am 300 pounds and have no problems reboarding with the step that came on my FX HO. But I can see that it would most likely be problematic for me to attempt to use the EZ Riser. Somebody of my size needs a very stable step.

+1
    My GTR doesn't even have a ladder and I can get back on just fine...the wife...well lets hope she never has to find out. lol

I know you said your girlfriend has back problems and is the one who mainly needs this. Would she be needing to use it all the time when boarding from shallower water or just if she wipes out or takes a swim in deeper water?

Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    My GTR doesn't even have a ladder and I can get back on just fine...the wife...well lets hope she never has to find out. lol

I know you said your girlfriend has back problems and is the one who mainly needs this. Would she be needing to use it all the time when boarding from shallower water or just if she wipes out or takes a swim in deeper water?
    She needs it from wipe outs and swimming in deeper water. I mean her back doesn't hurt all the time and we are a young couple and she pulled herself up all year last year but im not lookin for much maybe just a little help so she doesnt strain it so much thats why i came across the Ez Riser and gander mountain has an all net one as seen below i was looking at too . Just wondered what would be of better help?.Thanks guys
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	319647

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post

She needs it from wipe outs and swimming in deeper water. I mean her back doesn't hurt all the time and we are a young couple and she pulled herself up all year last year but im not lookin for much maybe just a little help so she doesnt strain it so much thats why i came across the Ez Riser and gander mountain has an all net one as seen below i was looking at too . Just wondered what would be of better help?.Thanks guys
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	319647
    I have that same one. I have never used my strap ladder but I got it for the wife in case she ever wipes out in deep water and needs some help getting back on.

I keep it in the glove box and I don't know how easy (or hard) it would be for her to get it out if she ever needed it. I guess I could do something similar as with the other one and leave it permanently hooked up on the tow eye and keep it rolled up and secured with velcro or something.

This strap ladder seems better because it has a couple steps to get better "upforce" with and balance. I would give this one a try.

I don't know what Gander Mountain is charging for them but I got mine from Overton's for $24.99.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...Ladder&i=35048

Or...if you want to go to greater lengths...buy both of those and as soon as you get them go out riding and try them both out and see which one works best for her and then return the other one...and as with most things...some practice reboarding with items like this will make things easier over time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information