Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: almost sunk 2

+1

almost sunk 2

Went for a ride today and hoping not to have a problem that I had last week but it happen,I almost sunk again,will the problem is the sleeve in front of the carbon seal was opened up where it was letting the water in very quick,no water in the engine thankfully.So I pulled the sleeve back to see if the snip ring would have came out and it was still there.I just changed the boot,carbon seal and sleeve and snip ring at the end of last summer.I need some help on this one it's driving me crazy.

+1
    Would anybody think the boot lose its flex to cause carbon seal and the seal flange open up,the boot is not very old.

+1
    Does your floating (ss) ring wobble at idle? Are your engine mounts bad? Stand on the right side of ski, and pull up on the exhaust manifold, and see if the engine moves

+1
    Could this cause quick wear on the carbon seal and boot,I've been having this problem for some time how.No doubt I am going to change the motor mount before I put my new ss wear ring on,but how much play should there be on the stock motor mounts.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Not that much...If you can readily move it with nothing more than the force you exert on it with your hands then I'd suspect that...

And yes...a bad motor mount would certainly cause that...I had a motor mount totally fail on my Sea Doo GSX and it ate the spines on the driveshaft and coupler and destroyed a carbon ring in a very short span of time...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddydoo View Post
    Could this cause quick wear on the carbon seal and boot,I've been having this problem for some time how.No doubt I am going to change the motor mount before I put my new ss wear ring on,but how much play should there be on the stock motor mounts.

No play on the stockers . I don't think the boot would be the problem, I've run my same boot for almost 400 hrs, and it wasn't that bad. If the carbon seal is cocked at an angle it could cause some un even wear, or the engine out of alignment could do it. I'm guessin the rear mounts.

+1
    Will,I pushed the flange seal back to look at the snap ring and its still there and would not go back in from the pressure of the boot,the boot is very easy to push back,also it would any start opening up after a good top end run.I try to move the engine and it seem to be pretty stiff.I'm going to get a alignment check and just change the front mount any way.Thanks for the info

+1
    Psycho,thinking that it is the rear mounts are you saying that its out of alignment or going bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddydoo View Post
    Psycho,thinking that it is the rear mounts are you saying that its out of alignment or going bad.

I would say going bad, or broken mounts. The rear
    I've changed twice. (almost 400 hrs)

+1
    Shouldn`t be that easy to move back the boot. Your seal has excessive wear. What its due from I don`t know. Did you bugger up the shaft with a pair of channel locks by chance? If so You may need the shaft machined or a new shaft all together. At minimal a new seal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information