Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

can anyone give me an idea on 96 XP fuel consumption..PLEASE

hey guys, searching for my first ski and I am completely torn between a 96 XP and an ultra 150. Its going to be used almost always in the salt jumping the biggest waves I can find. Common sense would tell you the x4 hull but with it being close to 20 years old I have my concerns. The ultra is the only other ski I am interested in, no waveblasters, yamahas, HX, or seadoo spark. The plus with the ultra is a can afford a 2004 or 2005 and have a ski ALOT newer. Im starting to think fuel economy might play a large part in my decision, can anyone give my an idea on what numbers you are seeing on the XP or link me to where I could find the GPH at WOT? IM leaning towards the ultra but if the xp is better on gas I might head in that direction.Can anyone with experience compare the two? Also are parts still easy to find for the xp as it is getting close to 20years old, I don't want a 2 stroke I cant find parts for. thankyou to anyone who might respond.

+1
    45 Minutes to empty at WOT. However if you jumping waves, you won't use very much fuel.

+1
    When considering an older ski you need to take in to account the upkeep and repairs. A lot of shops will not work on skis that are 10+ yrs old.

Have a qualified shop go completely thru whatever you buy before the purchase because older skis can have many issues that a new bee will not see.

Ride whatever you buy before the purchase. If they won't let you ride it walk away.

+1
    Really not to bad believe it or not. We are burning about 8 gallons on our 50 mile trip that's mostly WOT and our 4 strokes burn more. We have 3 perfect X4 skis that we ride when the water gets really low and don't want to risk grounding one of our expensive skis. Keep in mind there isn't 1 mile that is even close to straight so its very hard on fuel economy. My wife's conversion gets next best burning 9 gallons on that trip but she is hitting mid to upper 80s most of the time.

You will burn way more with an ultra. Also, the xp is one of the best selling watercraft of all times and is still widely raced today. Parts are everywhere, and cheap. You cannot say that about the ultra

wondering if anyone could try to give me an idea of time. my concern is the small 9 gallon tank. im using it for jumping waves so I figured 15 or 20 minute cruise through the bay,throught the inlet and then to the surf. so would it be common sense to think that I could only jump for 30 minutes or so? 20 there, 20 back the maybe 30 minutes of play? anyone out there could give me an idea of how long your tank is lasting time wise? hopeing to be able to play for atleast an hour, wishing for more like 2 hours of jumping not considering travel to jumping location. and I know it varies on how open the throttle is...

+1
    If your worried about fuel POP it open and look at the tank.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    We cruised about 20mins on our xp's and then jumped waves for an hour or so. Then would ride back the 20 mins or so. They are not that bad on fuel. Pretty much what Duke was saying. On a stock xp the mileage was pretty good. Our racer tends to burn more fuel.

thanks for the awnsers, I cant POP it open to look, I don't own one yet. im trying to decide between the seadoo and a 98-2000 Yamaha gp800. just concerned about the 9 gallon tank. want to make sure I can get enough play time out of one tank. thankyou.

Look at the gsx. Fairly playful hull, same 787, and a 15 gallon tank. I've seen too many problems with the yamaha 800 to ever consider one. The non powervalve 1200 was much better, but only half a mile an hour faster than the 96 xp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information