Exclamation 2001 Polaris Virage {mfi or mfd}

Hello Everyone a newbi here just want to know if anyone knows why my display boots up only showing fuel oil and if i have it in reverice no red light. it runs fine rev's high an it doese not go to sleep mode. changed the display same thing

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What exactly is the problem? Which display do you have?

Which year and model of watercraft?

The Polaris MFI and MFD displays always show the clock when sleeping.

The MFI is found on the Virage and Genesis models. It has a Reverse indicator light and message.

The MFD display is found on the older models and does not have a reverse indicator.

See my signature links for more info on these display. Look in the MFD section.
    Last edited by K447; 12-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks for the reply K447 . I have 2001 polaris virage with a mfi it will not respond to sleep mode,it reboots when unpluged or when you push display does not show reverse . what i have done- I changed the mfi with another mfi nothing same thing checked the fuse box for bad fuses,pushed the Bilge button it works. the only thing i think may have happen is i had the battery charger hooked up and tried to start it the battery was low and i was not getting spark. everything works fine but the mfi.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Thanks for the reply K447 . I have 2001 polaris virage with a mfi

it will not respond to sleep mode,it reboots when unplugged or when you push display does not show reverse .

what i have done- I changed the mfi with another mfi nothing same thing checked the fuse box for bad fuses,pushed the Bilge button it works. the only thing i think may have happen is i had the battery charger hooked up and tried to start it the battery was low and i was not getting spark. everything works fine but the mfi.
    Still not sure what the problem is

The display should only say Reverse when the reverse lever is physically in the reverse position. There is a switch down in the front storage area that is attached to the reverse mechanism. If that switch is unplugged or broken then the display will not know what position the lever is in.

I have posted video of the reverse mechanism moving back and forth, and you can see the reverse switch actuating.

What do you mean 'it will not respond to sleep mode' ?

I have seen that switch I'll check it. what i was saying about the sleep mode after five mim.the mfi should show only the clock its not doing that it stays on ,showing the oil,fuel,and unlocked when running it will not show tech

checked the switch all things are good there. Still no change from mfi. Ok if the mfi is not reading reverse or tech and does not go to sleep what do you think it could be? a ground wire or the main board? I am ruling out the mfi because I tried three others

+1
    Scroll down to the MFI Troubleshooting section on this page;
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....nction-display

And this;
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1111198

And this;

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    ... when running it will not show tachometer
    See the diagnostics process in this thread.

Bad LR-31 module causes CDI ignition to run poorly when MFI display is in sleep mode

My suspicion is that the MFI is not seeing the RPM signal on the Yellow wire, so it does not wake up on its own when the engine starts, the tachometer does not show RPM, and the display says Unlocked (which means it is sleeping).

update You are right ! first of all I caused it all !.
    1. I rebuild the engine and re installed it

2.when i installed the jet pump the control cable was loose so i made the ajustment , I did't know it was not all the way in reverse so that is why i was not getting a flashing light.

3.As i was trying to start the engine ran the battery low and that caused the mfi to act up showing hours as 553.5
    it does go into sleep mode but the screen shows clock,oil,fuel and unlocked it will not wake up when engine starts until i push a button on the mfi.

I went to the information site and it made everything clear so thanks a lot for the help!

Oh! when reseting the mfi you should have 14.0 volts. can you charge the battery to that or is that what should be on the power wire to the mfi?

Again Thanks!

+1
    The requirement for exactly 14.00 volts is simply to ensure or correct the voltage reading accuracy of the display.

You can certainly reset the MFI engine hour counter using just 12.x volts (just battery voltage with engine off), but if you want to calibrate the MFI voltage readings then it needs that accurate 14.00 volts during the process.

The 14.00 volts needs to be present at the MFI power feed wire, but this is effectively the same as holding the watercraft battery voltage to 14.00 volts. A battery charger or running the engine will not produce a highly precise 14.00 voltage. It might be close enough, depending on how much MFI inaccuracy you are OK with.

Thread Information