+1

Sudden death by battery ?

Just doing some research about battery life. The basics here. If my battery will start my ski at a noticeably strong kick, then can I trust an old batt next spring if kept at a proper charge? I thank you for your experiences with this.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Depends on how it behaves next spring, really.

Traditional lead-acid liquid filled battery?

How do you plan to 'keep it a proper charge' during storage?

Banned User
    +1
    I saw a battery that seemed to be working just fine die out on a ride last summer without warning. He shut off his ski for just a minute and when he went to push start, nothing........instant death...... A good quality battery with proper maintenance is always a good safeguard against sudden failure

I've had numerous batteries for jet skis (many GEL type etc.) They always seem great with plenty of kick but it may only last a short period of time when trying to start your ski. I always pull and store them during winter and keep then charged but there is definitely a life to them no matter how well you take care of them. My two strokes are high compression and need a lot of amperage to turn over. When the batteries start to go I have issues trying to start them. I used to always think it is not the battery but almost always turns out to be the battery dropping too much voltage. I now ONLY use ODESSEY batteries and I have not yet had any issues with these - three of them and 4 years old. For the extra cost it is worth it since I do not want to be stuck in the middle of a river.
    Keep your batteries charged up in winter ( check once every month or two) but more importantly make sure your battery in the spring has more than just one 5 or 10 second shot of juice to start your craft. Crank here with the plugs grounded a few short times for 5 seconds or so - waiting 30 or 60 seconds between the tries, then see if she can still turn it over and start it up. I think this is where people get a false sense of security. If it starts right up in the spring they don't know if their battery really has any reserve capacity to start the craft after it has been drained some - like trying to crank it in a river or bay after you somehow flooded it or ran out and switched to reserve.

+1
    Thank you all. My goal is to make it back to the dock...alive. I have experienced what 99% is on the water. Didn't think of an accidental capsize without a roll start option. New battery this spring and, a useful after life for the old one in the shop. Thinking of an, on the spot light, or an old car radio.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I saw a battery that seemed to be working just fine die out on a ride last summer without warning. He shut off his ski for just a minute and when he went to push start, nothing........instant death...... A good quality battery with proper maintenance is always a good safeguard against sudden failure
    That was the only non-Deka battery I owned, it came in another ski I bought used and the battery seemed good.

Worked fine for many weeks of riding. Just one too many hard bounces in rough water and the battery failed internally. Engine kept running due to the charging system still providing electrical power, but once shut down there simply was no battery power. It was completely dead. This was after maybe 30 minutes or so of riding, with a few engine stops along the way.

No sign of trouble until that battery failed outright. In the middle of a river, floating with a current into the next country.

Thread Information