Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Please Help! Can't remove Large Cotter Pin Karavan Trailer

I wanted to repack the bearings on my karavan trailer and I can't get the thick cotter pin out. It was bent in the shape of a c around the crown nut. It's not this soft cotter pins I'm use to seeing. Any tricks on how to remove this pin? I have it as straight as I can get it but no luck pulling it out. Thanks for any help.

+1
    Put an awl/pick in the end of it and pry it out. Or you can use vice grips and use the nut as leverage to get it out. Going from the 3 O'clock position to the 6 O'clock position then re clamp it and do it again.

Got It!

Wow bearings are pitted and black races are smooth but are black in spots maybe from getting hot. Wouldn't it just be eisier to get to new hub kits Thanks for any info...

Did you get the pin out yet?

depends on your wallet, if you can replace the bearings yourself that is cheaper, or if you think it`s easier to buy loaded hubs then go that route...
    just make sure you get the right size, bearings, bolt pattern, nuts VS studs etc...
    here are some online places:
    www.easternmarine.com
    www.trailerpartsdepot.com
    www.boatersworld.com
    www.westmarine.com
    and maybe: www.boatfix.com
    if your interested in buying online...hope this helps...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    depends on your wallet, if you can replace the bearings yourself that is cheaper, or if you think it`s easier to buy loaded hubs then go that route...
    just make sure you get the right size, bearings, bolt pattern, nuts VS studs etc...
    here are some online places:
    www.easternmarine.com
    www.trailerpartsdepot.com
    www.boatersworld.com
    www.westmarine.com
    and maybe: www.boatfix.com
    if your interested in buying online...hope this helps...PR...
    just get the bearings and make sure you put the race in thats the part the new bearing mate to, i've seen to meny people just put the new bearing in and not the race, hope that helps, ps if you have a ski and or caravan visit here
    Bearing Buddy - Contact Information regards bill

Bearings and races are shot I'm gonna buy loaded Hubs

Yup I got the pin out and come to find I'm gonna need new bearings,races. I think the reason I had so much water in their was because of the stock dust caps had a little rubber access plug that probably didn't seel well. Now as you can see in the photo my stock spindle has the zerk fitting but since I'm doing away with the Karavan sure lube system hubs I think I'm gonna have a problem getting grease in their.So if i just want to go with bearing buddies what do I do with the stock zerk fitting? Do I remove it and will the bearing buddy thread into the hole? I'm not to familiar with bearing buddies but think they might be a good idea. Also where can I find the thick cotter pin that karavan calls the L pin that holds the castle nut on? Can I buy something simular? I'm just a little confused if I should stay with the stock hubs because of the Sure lube system that lets the grease go through the spindle into the rear bearing and then to the front bearing and out the castle nut. What is the best way to go? Thanks for any info sorry about all the questions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2006.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	19194  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    Yup I got the pin out and come to find I'm gonna need new bearings,races. I think the reason I had so much water in their was because of the stock dust caps had a little rubber access plug that probably didn't seel well. Now as you can see in the photo my stock spindle has the zerk fitting but since I'm doing away with the Karavan sure lube system hubs I think I'm gonna have a problem getting grease in their.So if i just want to go with bearing buddies what do I do with the stock zerk fitting? Do I remove it and will the bearing buddy thread into the hole? I'm not to familiar with bearing buddies but think they might be a good idea. Also where can I find the thick cotter pin that karavan calls the L pin that holds the castle nut on? Can I buy something simular? I'm just a little confused if I should stay with the stock hubs because of the Sure lube system that lets the grease go through the spindle into the rear bearing and then to the front bearing and out the castle nut. What is the best way to go? Thanks for any info sorry about all the questions
    your stub axles look fine, depending on how many times you tow the caravan, ie once or twice or even 7 times a season i would just replace the bearings, dont just buy the preloaded hubs it'll cost to much more fore a vehicle that is not being thrashed enough, if you get stuck i'm always here to give you good advice, regards bill

Thread Information